1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook 6

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Taarna, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taarna

Taarna Thread Starter

Ok :p
    how the heck do I change the MB settings in outlook express as to what size the files are that I can accept in that email program..
    Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Usually any limit is set by either the sending or receiving ISP, not the program.

3. Taarna

Taarna Thread Starter

Thanks Bob

4. TheLord

TheLord

u'll be able to do that in Microsoft Outlook.. if u mean limiting the message size, for example: someone sends u 5MB file through email, and u spacified that u only accept messages with 3MB maximum. this is possible to be done.

if u mean, u want to receive a big file size, for example: someone sends u a 10MB file and u want to receive it, even if ur ISP limits u to 5MB on ur mailbox. this is possible to be done.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

TheLord,

Can you please give the details on how this is done.

6. TheLord

TheLord

which 1 u want me to explain ?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Both. But in particular the last one. It just didn't see where in Outlook Express you could limit the size of incoming e-mails or get around a limit imposed by the ISP.

8. TheLord

TheLord

1st: in MS Outlook.
    Tools > Options > mail Setup tab > click on Send/Receive button. by default "All Account" is selected, so click on Edit. there is an option says: "Download only heards for items larger than:" here u can specify the limit of the email size u are receiving .. for example, a 600kb email has been sent to u, and u enable this option and specify 500kb, u'll only receive the headers but no attachements.

2nd: in MS Outlook.
    Create a personal folder, if u don't know how, follow these steps..
    1) File > New > Outlook data file...
    2) choose Office outlook data file.. or so..
    3) choose where u want to save it. of course there should be a space in ur harddisk.
    4) click ok to accept the settings.
    5) right-click the folder u just created, and click on New Folder, name it Incoming.
    that's it we are done here.

now to the next part.

Tools > Rules wizard or Rules and Alerts. "differs in each version"
    Click on New Rule, select "Start from a blank rule". and click on "Check messages when they arrive", Next > Next > put a tick mark on "Move it to the specified folder". bottom window click on Specified and select the folder "Incoming".> Next > Next > Finish..

now what will happen, when someone sends u an email with an attachment of 5MB, it will be directed to ur Personal Folder, so it will not be in ur ISP's mailbox. so, ur ISP mailbox will act as a redirector, and it will always be empty. and u'll be keeping ur emails safe in ur Personal Folder.

Regards,
    Mahmood Alnasheet

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

#1 is not quite the same thing as originally posted or requested. They aren't worried about header size but attachment size.

Still don't see anything for #2 since all e-mail goes to your ISP first. Otherwise you wouldn't be putting in their POP server for your mail configuration. Generally all mail you receive from your ISP is removed from their server. But only after you run your e-mail program. Until then, it's on their server. That's where you get it from. What you do with it after you down load it does not change any ISP's rules for how much can be stored on their server as an attachment.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

First off, he has Outlook Express, not Outlook. I don't see any of these options in Outlook Express.

Even with all that:

All #1 does is restrict the header size and has nothing to do with limiting attachment size.

All #2 does is move all incoming e-mail to a new folder. It does not "change the MB settings in outlook express as to what size the files are that I can accept in that email program.. "

11. TheLord

TheLord

attachments are still related to email messages, so when u limit a message to specific size, attachments are included in this rule.

2nd, if u use ur ISP mailbox and u don't have a Personal Folder which will be on ur harddisk, then ur mailbox will always contain files. otherwize with the personal folder, where ur ISP mailbox is always empty.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Your mailbox on the ISP's server will only be open AFTER you download e-mail. Until then it still would come under whatever rules or restrictions they have on their system.

Also, I still don't see where the instructions work or have a similar counterpart with Outlook Express.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Maybe some examples will help explain why settings in your e-mail program will not let you get around any ISP file size limits. The claim was made that even though your ISP limits you to a 5 meg attachment, if you want to receive a 10 meg one, this can be done by moving them to another personal folder.

1. How do they know what e-mail program you are using. If they don't allow more than a 5 gig attachment, it will be stripped out at their end on their server before you even try to download it from that server.

2. They don't care which personal folder you are putting your e-mail. The restriction happens before you download any e-mail.

3. They don't check first to see how your e-mail program is configured before stripping out any attachments over their allowed size limit.

14. TheLord

TheLord

totally agree with u, but working around with what i've mentioned is working with me. where i'm limited with 5mb mailbox and i tried receiving upto 12mb as an attachment, and it worked.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But since they have Outlook Express, do you have a solution for them.

How many other ISP's and file sizes have you tested this with. Or was it just one ISP and just that one file size. Most allow a little grace size as far as I know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice