1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 7 will not show new messages:Seamonkey won't send them.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mollybapa, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mollybapa

mollybapa Thread Starter

For years I have used Outlook (version 7) with Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop PC. Recently, however, though it displayed emails coming in, it stopped putting then into the inbox, although it continued to send mails normally. Any mail I sent to myself would appear in the “sent” list, but not in the inbox. I checked all the settings with UPC, my service provider, but these appeared correct. I could also read my mails on UPC's site via their "webmail".

I next ran the repair program on the original Office 7 disc. This claimed that Outlook had been repaired. Nevertheless, the old problem remained.

I then tried installing Seamonkey. Here again I checked the settings with UPC. In contrast to Outlook, Seamonkey downloaded all incoming mails. However, when I attempted to send mails, I got the following message:
    The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mgate.chello.at failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again, or contact the server administrator.

Next, I installed Seamonkey with the same settings on my Samsung Ebook, which uses Windows XP with all service packs. It functioned perfectly, receiving and sending mails with no trouble.
    UPC was not familiar with Seamonkey so asked me to instal Thunderbird and/or Windows Live Mail.
    I tried both. Thunderbird took over the settings it found for Seamonkey. It displayed the incoming mails. But when I tried to send I got
    An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.0 Authentication required to send email as <[email protected]> on submission port.. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.
    UPC had no idea what was meant by “5.1.0 authentification”.
    I next tried Windows Live Mail. Again, this could receive mail, but not send it. I got an error message
    Subject 'another test'
    Server: 'mgate.chello.at'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 25
    Secure(SSL): No
    Socket Error: 11004
    It seems my provider, UPC, is totally unable to help, and the fact that Seamonkey works on my ebook suggests that the programs are perhaps not at fault. But what could be the cause of this extraordinary problem on my Desktop PC, where Outlook can send but since recently not receive, whilst the opposite is the case with the three other programs I have tried, which can receive but not send? Could it be a hardware problem? How can one diagnose it? I have run CHKDSK and memory tests.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2031 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 610377 MB, Free - 467745 MB; F: Total - 610477 MB, Free - 5667 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5B-V
    Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Disabled

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  3. mollybapa

mollybapa Thread Starter

As I said, I checked the settings with UPC. Both Outlook and Seamonkey use ports 25 and 110.
    I also ran the "repair" feature again on Outlook, which reported that all was well. It sent a test message which I received in Seamonkey on both Desktop and the ebook PC. But it did not show up on Outlook. It did show up in UPCs Webmail.

When you write that it is a server issue, do you mean that the problem is not with the software, and that rather than pursuing this through microsoft I should rather do so via UPC?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The link that I provided above is using a different server than the one you have listed.

The link shows to use:
    6. You will then be asked for the server details:
    a. The My incoming mail server field should already be set to POP3.
    b. In the Incoming Mail Box enter pop3.upcmail.ie
    c. In the Outgoing Mail Box enter smtp.upcmail.ie

And the error message that you posted is showing:
    mgate.chello.at

Which tells me that you are using the wrong server name to access your email.

Can you provide a link to the settings that you are using?

5. mollybapa

mollybapa Thread Starter

I am sorry, but I already told you I checked the settings (by phone) with UPC, who also sent me a letter with them.

Let us take one problem at at time. Forget Outlook for the moment.
    Using Seamonkey on my ebook, I can successfully send and receive messages with the settings
    IN: pop.chello.at
    port: 110
    User name: translator
    Connect Security: None
    Authorization method: password transmitted insecurely

OUT: mgate.chello.at
    port: 25 (default is quoted as 587)
    Connect Security: None
    Authorization method: password transmitted insecurely

Using the same settings with the desktop PC I can receive, but not send. However the account settings on both machines are identical. The desktop pc ic cabled to the router, the netbook uses WLAN. So if an identically configured program works on one machine but not on another, surely the problem lies with the hardware, not the software? If, as you suggest, I am using the wrong server name, how is is that I am successfully accessing my emails on my ebook? And why should my provider give me wrong settings? Apparently they stopped using smtp a long time ago.And why "ie" rather than "at"? I cannot even log on to it!
    The server is at www.upc.at.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    UPC must have different servers for the different locations,. So the one that I found was (is) not the one in your area.

Now, you are saying that using Seamonkey on two different machines and using the same settings, that it does NOT work on the second machine?

7. mollybapa

mollybapa Thread Starter

Yes. I think you can believe that I mean what I said in the fourth paragraph of my very first email. Perhaps you would care to reread it.

My password and username are not accepted on the upc.ie site. I am in Austria.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Since I am not a Seamonkey user I will bow out of this, but I will keep an eye out.

9. mollybapa

mollybapa Thread Starter

DaveA, May I ask you again if you think this is a hardware problem, and if so, how I might go about diagnosing it?

10. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

As I look at this issue, I keep coming back to the email Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings. I know you have said repeatedly that you have checked all settings between different computers and they are all identical. My apologies, but that statement means nothing to me as a troubleshooting tool. Is everything that was checked everything there is to check? Impossible to tell for sure. Outlook, Seamonkey, T-Bird all want to know if your Outgoing Server requires authentication. This may or may not be the same settings as the incoming mail server. It may be that the account may require a login with user name and password. It may be the username is like John1234, or it may be the username must be [email protected]. The mail server may require Secure Password Authentication, and the Mail Server may require the incoming Mail Server be logged into before any mail can be sent from the account. Here are some helpful links: http://kb.mozillazine.org/SMTP_authentication. More helpful links can be found by googling 5.1.0 Authentication required to send email
    Hope something here helps. I tend to not believe this is a hardware issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice