1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 97 error "Can't open this item."

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Nittany92, Sep 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nittany92

Nittany92 Thread Starter

((( I have one nerve left and this computer is getting on it. [​IMG] )))

Here's the problem: In Outlook 97, if I receive a forwarded message that contains the original message as an attachment (as opposed to included as message text), I get the error "Can't open this item." However, I can open messages that contain any other type of attachment, or none at all.

Also related: If I change my Outlook 97 options to "Attach original message" when forwarding a message, then try to forward one, I get the error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, start Outlook again." Tried that -- didn't work.

Also related: If I select a message listed in my Inbox and press [Ctrl-C] to copy it, then compose a new one and try to paste the copied message (i.e. attach it), I get the error "Cannot create attachments. Internal application error."

Here's my setup: I am currently using Outlook Express 5 as my default mail client. It can receive and open attached messages just fine. I want to switch to Outlook 97 (or better) as soon as I can get this problem resolved. My OS is Windows 98 SE.

OK. I think I've provided enough info. Let me know if you need additional details. I searched the Microsoft Technet site and couldn't find anything about this. I certainly hope someone can help.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't understand why you want to ATTACH messages. I get them that way from people and it's sooooooo annoying. Don't take offense, okay, I'm just giving you my opinion.

Why don't you just forward the message?

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I might be able to get one by Monday, so if nobody answers right away--hang tight.

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

3. Nittany92

Nittany92 Thread Starter

I guess I wasn't clear. I can't open any mail I receive that contains an attached e-mail.

I'm not necessarily trying to attach e-mails myself, or forward them as attachments. I also find that annoying. I only did that as a troubleshooting step. I was trying to prove the point that my Outlook can't handle any message that contains an attached message, whether it be receiving/opening one, composing one, or forwarding one.

[This message has been edited by Nittany92 (edited 09-30-2000).]

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Funny--a friend of mine had the same problem recently. Couldn't help her and basically read her the riot act for emailing me with messages attached--I couldn't open them either. Messages aren't supposed to be attached. Who's your ISP?

Oh! And welcome to TSG!

(I work right down the hall from WMMR...)

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench

5. Nittany92

Nittany92 Thread Starter

I use Outlook 97 at work. It will open e-mails that contain attached messages. At home, I subscribed to Comcast @Home cable modem service. I called them last night. They said they will only support Outlook Express and Netscape Messaging. They told me to call Microsoft if I'm having difficulty with Outlook 97. All they could do was give me my account settings and the POP3 and SMTP settings. They said it is possible to use any mail client you like, but it's up to you to configure and troubleshoot it if it's something other than what they provide.

Maybe I'll just try reinstalling MS Office.

AOL is the major abuser of attaching forwarded messages. Most of my contacts use AOL. It's very frustrating having to open a seemingly endless chain of attached messages just to get to the point.

(So, you're a Philly person. I work just off I95 near the PA/Del state line.)

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Well, actually I live in Quakertown. And so does my girlfriend--AND she has AOL!

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/37540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice