1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 97 Forwarding Mail

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Peter_Makati, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter_Makati

Peter_Makati Thread Starter

Hello there,

I am currently using Outlook 97. I will be travelling for a while and would like to access my e-mail while I am away. My ISP provider has already told me that it can't forward my mail. Can you please help me with the following:

1. How can I forward my mail to my Yahoo account while leaving a copy in my Outlook? I went to Help and it told me to use the Out-of-Office Assistant. Unfortunately, this function is "greyed out" and I was not able to add it in, even with my installation disk.

2. I have heard that I could read my mail by using "Telnet". How do I do this?

Thank you so very much!

2. TechChick

TechChick

You can use Yahoo! to check any POP3 e-mail account. Since most ISP e-mail accounts use this protocol, this method should work for you. Depending on how long you're traveling, you may not want to leave the e-mail on the server because you could run out of room.

3. Peter_Makati

Thanks so much for your help! I have tried it and I think that it works.

I would appreciate your comments on two follow-up questions:

1. If I read my messages from my Yahoo e-mail, can I also retrieve them later from my Outlook? (I have chosen the option "Leave mail on POP server".)

2. What does "Use Filters" mean? I have left it checked because this was the default that Yahoo gave me when I added my Mail server.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

4. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

If you've specified to leave mail on the pop server it should continue to be retrievable from your Outlook account.

Filters will filter out unnecessary spam e-mail or other specified types of mail.

5. Peter_Makati

I really appreciate your help, all of you!

Thank you very much!!

6. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

Happy to help. Thats what TSG is all about. One more thought - you might want to check what type of default filtering that yahoo does so that intended e-mails (those that you want) don't get filtered. I'm not on yahoo but I do have a hotmail account and they work similarly - in hotmail there is a page that allows you to specify your filters.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice