1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 98: Rule to Mark as Read

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ofeelmeup, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ofeelmeup

ofeelmeup Thread Starter

while I'm making a rule I check "perform a custom action" however I don't have any custom actions, how can I make one? and how can I create a rule to mark a message as read when it arrives?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What version?

3. ofeelmeup

ofeelmeup Thread Starter

outlook 98, what would be nice is if I could find or make a rule that takes away the little envelope icon mail notification thing that shows up beside the system time in the taskbar

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Perhaps if you can tell me why you would want to mark them as read, I can suggest something else?

5. ofeelmeup

ofeelmeup Thread Starter

I get enormous amounts of email and I have rules setup to move certain stuff to certain folders. when new mail comes a little envelope icon shows up beside the system time in the task bar, but I don't want it to show up for messages that get moved to folders via a rule, so I figure if I can make a rule to mark those items as read then the envelope will go away

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I asked my coworker, who's really terrific, and he said it would require code. Next thing you know, this code is in my email:

Sub MarkAsRead()
    'Uses the Restrict method to locate all Inbox items received today 'Marks as unread
    'Israel Ramirez, PCHelps 6/12/2001

Dim myOlApp As Application
    Dim myNameSpace As NameSpace
    Dim myFolder As MAPIFolder
    Dim myitems As Items
    Dim myrestrictitems As Items
    Dim myItem As Object

Set myNameSpace = GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set myFolder = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox) Set myitems = myFolder.Items

Set myrestrictitems = myitems.Restrict("[Received] >= '" & Format(Now(),
    "mm/dd/yy") & "'") '"[Received] < '" & Format(Int(Now()), "mm/dd/yyy" & "'"))
    Dim j As Integer

On Error Resume Next
    For Each myItem In myrestrictitems
    If (InStr(myItem.from, "[email protected]") > 0) Then 'If (InStr(myItem.from, "Israel") > 0) Then
    If (Now() - myItem.ReceivedTime) < 0.003 Then
    'Only process item if it arrived within last 4 minutes!
    'Debug.Print myItem.EntryID 'for testing only myItem.UnRead = True
    End If
    End If
    Next

End Sub

Let me know if you're interested in using it. I'll have to ask him how it's done.

7. ofeelmeup

ofeelmeup Thread Starter

thank you, yes I would like to know how I can use that code. and I have another challenging outlook programming question if he or anyone else is interested in having a go at it. I'm susposed to rig something up so that when our attorneys print outlook calenders the name of the calender appears at the top, wow, I'm a programmer but not a vb programming so I'm just a beginner in this outlook vb programming type stuff

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Can we spread this out over a few days? I don't want to "abuse" his help! LOL. I will get back to you, or perhaps get JimiT in here to help.

9. ofeelmeup

ofeelmeup Thread Starter

ok, I think I can do the calender thing by using a word template which imports the calender (this is from microsoft) then I just need to add the calender name to the code which shouldn't be that hard. I don't think it's possible to program outlook to do this without dumping the calender into word but I don't know.

thanks

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ah, geeze. I found out that this code must be run from an external app, such as Word or Excel. And, though it will mark everything as unread, you'd have to run it regularly. We don't think there's a valid solution for what you want.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice