1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook and Office 2007 in Vista

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by StoryAngel, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoryAngel

StoryAngel Thread Starter

I'm running Office 2007 (inc. Outlook) on Vista Home Premium. I'm finding the programs pretty unstable, in particular Outlook, although I've had a similar problem in Word too. It doesn't actually SAY it crashes, but the screen goes weird and I end up having to kill off Outlook via the Task Manager and then restart the program.

Is there something I can do to reduce this happening? It's rather frustrating on a brand-new machine.

2. cherry pie

cherry pie

This happened to me as well some time back. It is known by a lot of Office 07 users that outlook still has bugs. I'm telling you 6 months back it was a lot worse than today!! (from experience)
    Anyways... Does your (freezing) occure at certain activity? My outlook used to freeze whenever I open or close a pst file. Try to figure out when this happens, then turn off outlook add-ons... one at a time and restart outlook. See if the problem happens again at that same activity. then turn on the rest of the add-ons again.

3. StoryAngel

Yup I know I have it easy in comparison to 6 months ago! :) I generally have Outlook running in the background. The first I know of the imminent crash is hearing a beep (the Exclamation one) then I see Outlook flashing in my taskbar. If I click on it then if anything happens (which sometimes it doesn't) the screen is mostly white, the calendar has moved from top-right to top-left, and any text has changed into a weird system-type font. If a warning window has flashed up then invariably it'll be blank without any way of finding out what the problem is/was. If any email messages are open at that time and I click on them, then again most of the screen is white (the toolbars disappear) and the font has gone funny. Often I then find that if I right-click the taskbar nothing happens, so it can be difficult to access the task manager and force Outlook to close. Assuming I can actually get into task manager then Outlook *appears* to be running - it will say Running rather than Not Responding.

Sorry for the somewhat vague and rambling explanation, it's really hard to explain these things well! Maybe I should try a screenshot next time it happens... Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

4. cherry pie

cherry pie

no problems :) I actually get that (white screen) things this is what happens when stuff freeze at vista... the thing I haven't seen is the (funny fonts) but generally, the freezing part is what we want to stop. I wonder if you have tried stopping the add-ons...

5. StoryAngel

What add-ons do you mean? Please elaborate... my brain is tired :)

6. cherry pie

cherry pie

oops... just a slight correction, add-ins not add-ons :)

In outlook click Tools > Trust Center on the left side you'll find a tab called (add-ins). in the bottom make sure (COM Add-ins) is selected and click Go

you'll find checked and unchecked add-ins, disable one and restart outlook and wait to see if the problem recurrs. If yes, do the same and disable the next one. Maybe one of those is causing the freezing problem. If at some point your outlook don't freeze anymore then the last one you disabled might have been causing the problem. keep it disabled and enable the rest. It's a matter of trial-and-error until you get it right... hopefully :D

7. StoryAngel

Thank you! I've started the trial-and-error process... I'll let you know the result...

8. StoryAngel

Working my way through the add-ins. Some of them it won't let me uncheck - any idea how to make them behave so I can switch them off? I'm running out of add-ins otherwise.. and still no joy so far. I finally managed to capture the crash message - see attached.

Attached Files:

9. cherry pie

cherry pie

True some of the add-ins can't be switched of I don't remember which ones but I think those are necessary to keep outlook running. So it might not be an add-in problem then. maybe your profile is corrupted. how about closing outlook, search for outlook.ost, delete (or better rename to outlook.old) then re-open outlook again? this will create a new profile. hope this helps

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice