1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Archive Files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by blakrapter, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blakrapter

blakrapter Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have been archiving emails for several years now and my archive file was approaching 6 GB. It was causing a problem with my online backup because every 2 weeks when I archive, it tries to upload a ~6 GB file. So, I decided to split it up into a Through-2009 archive, and will continue to break it up through the years to keep the file sizes more reasonable for uploading with residential DSL.

The problem is the file sizes do not seem to be adding up. I have been archiving anything over 18 months old to my "Archive" file, so, I still had some 2009 stuff in my primary PST file. My large "Archive" file as I mentioned above was at nearly 6 GB. I used the archive function to move ALL information from the "Archive" file to the "Through 2009" archive. In addition, I went ahead and forced all information through 2009 in my primary PST to be archived to the "Through 2009" archive.

So, since I moved all information from the "Archive" file, its size should be nearly 0 and the file size of the "Through 2009" archvie file should be around 6GB... According to Windows explorer, my "Archive" file is still 5,880,593 KB (or around 6 GB) and my "Through 2009" is 4,102,185 KB (or around 4 GB). So, I checked them in Outlook by right clicking > Properties > Folder Size. According to Outlook, my "Archive" file is 1005 KB (only because I moved a few emails in there hopeing it would updated when something was added) and my "Through 2009" is 3,785,100 KB.

So, I have two problems:
    1. My primary "Archive" file is still too large to upload efficiently.
    2. My 2 archive files sizes are not adding up to the origional size of ~6 GB, which makes me worry that I lost data.

Any ideas?

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi blakrapter,
    Outlook pst files don't behave the way you'd expect them to when you move items in and out. Although you've moved everything out of your primary Archive file, you can't get the true file size until you compact that PST. You can do that by right-clicking the item in Outlook and then going to Properties/Advanced/Compact Now. It might take quite a bit of time, so make sure you do it when you don't need Outlook for anything else, and you might want to create a backup of it first, just because it's always a good idea to have a backup before you make a major change. As for the two new archive files, it's possible you lost data, but I think the more likely explanation is that over time you may have moved or deleted items from the primary archive and not compacted it, so the 6GB+ was an inflated number and 4GB is more accurate. Hope that helps.

3. blakrapter

blakrapter Thread Starter

Wendy,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll compress the old file later today/tonight to see what that does. If I compress it can I still continue to use it as an archive file?

Thanks!

David

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi David,
    Yes, you should still be able to use it just fine. It should just compress all of empty space down. But as I said, it's never a bad idea to create a backup first, just in case. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice