1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Auto Complete

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lschul, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have been using Outlook for a while now and I like the auto complete function when I am entering email addresses. But I have some addresses come up when I begin typing that are not in my book but I may have repsonded to at one point. How do I clean those up?

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

have you checked to see if they're listed in contacts?

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have some of the people there by name but that particular email address is not in his contact record. Do they stay stashed somewhere?

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Sometimes also, if I type a name, 2 things come up, for instance. If I start typing Dave Jones it give me two options to pick, Dave Jones and Dave Jones ([email protected])

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i don't know for sure if folks in the address book and contacts stay in the pst file when/if they're deleted but i think they'd be gone.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

that is what I would think too.

7. Augie65

Augie65

The autocomplete address are kept in a file named Outlook.NK2. It is in a hidden folder located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    You can delete the whole file and a new one will be created when you restart Outlook. To remove just one address use the arrow keys to select the address and press the Delete key.
    Hope this helps.

8. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Thanks, will see if it helps!

9. stevefree

stevefree

This is an oldy but here's a great step by step for picking out addresses from your autocomplete OR nuking the entire file.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/mic...he-outlook-email-address-auto-complete-cache/

-Steve

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice