Outlook backup addin app problem???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

garyoNC

I have used this addin app many times over the years and never had a single problem. I now have a customer who has four or five xp pro boxes that I cannot install the addin on. The error message says that it is already installed and it must remove the first installation before it can install again. I hit yes to continue and then get the same error. Loop just continues. This addin is not listed on any box in the add/remove list. I do not know what is going on. He has five other xp pro boxes that the backup addin works just fine. Everything else on the affected boxes works just fine also. Microsoft's site is useless. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

garyoNC

Well I tried the "Detect and Repair" from the help menu and it fixed one PC. It did not fix the others. So, when we get some time we are going to reload the PCs. This problem is happening only on boxes loaded with Office XP 2002, not on any that have Office 2003.

garyoNC said:
I have used this addin app many times....
Hi and welcome to the forum! However, it is hard to know how to help - "this addin app" just doesn't give me a clue as to what to look for in the way of answers, except for the fact that it has to do with backups.
Is it one you made yourself or a common download or???
I can tell you more if it is one that perhaps others have used and encountered the same problem. :)

garyoNC

slurpee55,

The backup program I am talking about is a Microsoft applet developed by Microsoft for automating PST backups in Outlook 2000/2002/2003, and I think it works with 2007. See this link:
http://tinyurl.com/oh4l

Gary

garyoNC said:
Well I tried the "Detect and Repair" from the help menu and it fixed one PC. It did not fix the others. So, when we get some time we are going to reload the PCs. This problem is happening only on boxes loaded with Office XP 2002, not on any that have Office 2003.
Check this link. Sounds like it may address your issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810932
HTH

Jerry

garyoNC

Jerry,

How the heck did you find this??? I searched the KB for probably an hour with a ton of different search terms and never saw this. I will give it a try and report back as soon as I can.

Thanks a lot!!
Gary

Charm and good looks?

Actually, I googled on the file name pfbackup.exe and that link was 4th in the list. Sometimes just searching on the file name of the update in google finds better results than using MS to search the KB.

Searching Google for "unable to install personal folders backup" it is 3rd on the list.

Hope it works for ya

Jerry

Just learn to use google...

Code:
site:support.microsoft.com outlook cannot install backup add-in
This returns it #1 in the list. Google the terms how to use google search. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online