1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook backup confirmation

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theolddog, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

Hi. I've read several of the threads re backing up Outlook. I just want to confirm something. The file outlook.pst. Does it contain email, contacts, and calendar all within the one file? Is there a way to verify this without actually restoring the data? I just want to make sure I'm getting all I need to get.

thanks.

theolddog :)

2. duner80

duner80

Are you are using the downloadable backup tool from microsoft?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010875321033.aspx
    As long as you select all of your folders to be backed up, then yes, everything including contacts, inbox, sent mail, trash, personal folders, will be saved. So if you ever need to go back and reload that file into outlook you will have everything. I have been doing this for several years, and my file is about 800mb, but I have everything since 2000 and I reburn a cd every couple of months to keep things up-to-date.

You can also use the export tool to do this, as it will save everything as well you select to be saved.

JD

3. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

Sorry for taking so long to respond. My internet connection was down all day.

I am not using the downloadable backup tool from microsoft. I am backing up from under my user name in Explorer. Some files seem to be under C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and the .pst file is under C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

My concern is that there is only the one file for .pst and does it contain email, contacts, calendar and tasks within that file.

Or am I going about it completely the wrong way.

thanks

theolddog

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't need any tool to backup the Outlook PST file. Just close Outlook and copy it wherever you like.

If you have Outlook98 or Outlook2000, my preference is to set it up with the Corporate/Workgroup configuration. This way you have total control over where the PST file is located. Make the backup a lot easier.

Information on how to do that can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_info/outlook98_change.htm

Otherwise it is easy to configure Outlook2002/XP/2003 for whatever data location you want from the initial configuration.

If you have multiple PST files, you might check the date and size for which one to backup. Usually the latest date is the one you want. Otherwise you can just include them all.

5. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the help.

theolddog

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice