1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook - can send but not receive email

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by synthesis, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. synthesis

synthesis Thread Starter

Using Outlook (not Express). Can send e-mail Ok, but cannot receive - instead get an error message. All account settings are correct for my ISP. Using Windows XP and Office 2003 SP1.

Issue started after I added a new hard drive, then made the new drive the boot drive and the other one the slave. Now, I get this email problem and others:
    - Windows Installer box pops up when I open any Office 2003 programs. Says "preparing install..." then gives a message that I should run Setup and then select Repair.

- tried removing Office with add/remove programs and after the Windows installer box pops up with "preparing to remove...", this message appears "This patch package could not be opened..."

- tried to reinstall Office from disc and it would not work - same errors as above.

- tried to delete a separate file and is said the recycle bin was corrupted

Can someone please help?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

3. synthesis

synthesis Thread Starter

Unfortunately still a problem. I followed the uninstall procedure described in the link and updated the registry as required. When running setup.exe, a Windows Installer box pops up, then after a minute or so a new box appears saying "This patch package could not be opened ...".

Perhaps a dumb question, but could the issue be that I have the original Office 2003 still on my former boot drive which is now the slave drive?

Thanks!

4. synthesis

synthesis Thread Starter

5. jerryrm

jerryrm

Here is what finally worked for me for Outlook 2000.

I went into safe mode and ran the inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) on my pst file. Then moved it to a separate folder. Then started Outlook and it established a new personal folder. Then imported from the repaired file. Wish I would have figured this out two days ago.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441515