1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook - changing inbox display names

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by johnbrowning, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnbrowning

johnbrowning Thread Starter

How can I change the display name of an email in Outlook 2003 inbox? So, for example, if "[email protected]" sends me an email, my inbox may display, in the "from" column, "Joe Smith". But, with the same email address, it might display just "Joe". Same issue with non-AOL emails. One of my main clients has both an AOL and non-AOL address he uses, and his two email addresses show up as five different people in my inbox, in various forms ("joe", "joe smith", "[email protected]", etc.).

I'd like to change the display names of the two email addresses so they are the same (e.g., "Joe Smith"), and thus would sort and group together when I choose to sort by "from".

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

John

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi johnbrowning

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Did you try changing the Display Name field in the Contacts window?
    You can add several e-mail addresses in one Contact window.

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

If I understand what you want to do, can not be done.
    The display name within a email is controled by the sender

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924929