1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook.com Can't Reply Nor Write New Emails!?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by brispuss, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

Since Hotmail.com changed to Outlook.com there have been frequent issues where new email messages can't be written, and existing messages can't be replied to while using most browsers.

Specifically, when clicking on the Reply text/icon, nothing seems to happen apart from occasional small spinning wheel icon appearing briefly suggesting that something is going on. But ultimately nothing else happens and emails can't be replied to.

Likewise when clicking the New text/icon to compose new email messages, again nothing seems to happen in the end.

Used Opera Version 12.16, Firefox version 32.0.3, Chrome version 39.0.2.., and Internet Explorer version 11.0.

However, on many occasions, new emails and responses to emails are possible using IE, but not always. And on odd occasions while using the other browsers, email composing and replies may be possible, but not as often when using IE.

I do notice a general trend in that the problems seem to occur more during the day from morning to late afternoon. In the evening, the problems seem to occur less often. This suggests the problems may be (partly) related to internet traffic/volume. That is, the more internet activity/traffic there is, the more likely problems will occur, and vice-versa.

Tried clearing cookies and cache from browsers (and restarting browsers) but with no improvement.

I'm on a dial-up connection which doesn't help, because it can sometimes literally take up to 5 minutes or so for all (background) data for Outlook.com web page to complete loading after logging in.

Broadband is available here but is unaffordable at present.

Any suggestions that may improve Outlook.com email functionality during the busy times? Any (obscure) internet/browser settings that may help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see that under Options you can upgrade to "Ad-free" for $20/year. That would surely help some, but don't know if it would help enough to be worth the cost.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your problem is probably your dialup connection.
    Outlook takes a while to settle down for me. It keeps refreshing a message I select and I'm on a fast cable connection.

Have you looked into other email options like juno gmail or yahoo?

4. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, I'm not really in a position to spend money on resolving this issue (lack of funds is the main reason why I'm not on broadband connection). And there is no guarantee that paying to go Ad Free will help, so it may be money wasted.

I suspect the issues are (partly) due to my slow dial-up connection. Although previously, there were not so many issues occurring until fairly recently (over the past few months or so). Whether the issues are due to increased internet traffic or due to changes at Outlook.com is unknown.

Outlook.com is my primary email account, as it is preferred to have an online account to save and archive emails. I have considered other sites such as Gmail etc. If I change my primary email account this will require contacting numerous addressees to advise change of email address and, there is no guarantee that similar issues (unable to write or reply to emails) will not occur. However, the only way to be certain is to try another account and see what happens.

My secondary email account is on Mozilla Thunderbird. The emails are stored locally (on my HDD), but I can forward copies to my Outlook.com account as required for archiving.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice