1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook.com email account on Windows LIve Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by perihelio, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perihelio

perihelio Thread Starter

I held out and downloaded Windows 10 on the last day it was going to be free. I’ve been having some email issues ever since. Some have been solved; one has been a toothache.

Although Microsoft wants to wean people off of Windows Live Mail in favor of the built in mail interface in Windows 10, I want to keep using WLM.

I need two email accounts set up on WLM. One I have set, a IMAP account (a Time Warner Roadrunner account) which is working properly and the other an outlook.com email account which isn’t. (All the settings on the two accounts are IDENTICAL with the exception of the server names)

The OUTLOOK account is also set a IMAP and the setting are correct as I can send and receive emails…both properly going through the proper server and being able to be read in my hand held device and on the outlook.com web site.

The problem is I can’t get folders to populate in WLM on that account, so I can’t see (read) incoming mail from there, nor do I have a SENT folder to verify that my emai “went.”

The step which I can not get to happen in to “DOWNLOAD FOLDERS”, i.e. the “Inbox”, “Drafts”, “Sent Items”, “Junk E-mail”, and “Deleted Items” folders.

There is a link to click to download those folders (“Windows Live Mail needs to download the folders before you can read the messages in this account. To download the folders, click DOWNLOAD link”)but it churns and churns and churns then finally times out with an error message that reads:

“Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity with details: You IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system. (I have a reasonably powerfully system and have never had any memory issues)

In the WLM interface, when I right click the account, there is a “download folders” options there, also, but it gets the same behavior as noted above. There is also a “new folder” option on a right click but if I type in, say, “Inbox”….zero happens.

Now I have done web searches on this problem….and I clearly have a lot of company with others that have this problem… and there are all kinds of opinions and answers there that do not work for me….so, as they say, been there, done that. If there is anyone out there who KNOWS this issue and can speak to it I would surely appreciate the help. Thank you in advance. Jim

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8127 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 931641 MB, Free - 289709 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Disabled 54.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg

See attachments... 54.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg 54.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg 54.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg 54.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. perihelio

perihelio Thread Starter

I have all the right settings in the setup re servers, etc. As I mentioned, I can SEND and RECEIVE emails from this account as when I do I can read them either on my hand held or on the outlook website. The setup is fine. My issues is I can not download the folders where I can see the emails on my desktop....

JV

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As i showed in the attachment - my WLM automatically downloaded all those folders when I setup - I did nothing else on WLM
    except setup the account

delete the account from WLM
    and setup again

5. perihelio

perihelio Thread Starter

No joy. I expunged the original set up account and began with a clean slate. The issue remain....no folders:(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice