1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Contacts Disappeared

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Using Windows 10 with latest updates and MSOffice 365.

Suddenly, and for no reason that makes sense to me, all Outlook Contacts are gone. As far as I can tell (not completely sure) the address book service is enabled. The Contacts folder is empty, completely empty except for this user's one address. I have Googled and found no answers that help.

There are no other users on this system and only one Contacts folder, empty.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a screen shot of your "Contacts" screen, so we can see your basic Contacts configuration?

3. Alex Ethridge

I won't be back there until tomorrow (Sunday) or maybe not until Monday and when I do, I won't be there but an hour or two.

Is there any advice you can give me?

To the clear, the contacts were there one day and not the next and I suspect a Windows 10 or Office 365 update.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    First of all, are you aware that Outlook use either "Contacts" and/or Address Book"?
    The Contacts are include within the PST / OST file and the Address book is part of the leftovers of Windows 98.
    The address book is external to the PST /OST file.

Also note that each imap type of entry has it own address book.

So what are you using?

5. Alex Ethridge

At this point I can tell you without reservation that the Contacts folder is empty (C:\Users\username\Contacts). That is the only Contacts folder on the system as there are no other users on the system, nor have there ever been. The only file in there is desktop.ini, absolutely nothing else.

Yesterday, I imported 91 addresses from a CSV file I exported for her back in 2014. Those show up fine. Naturally though, no addresses added since then are present.

I am satisfied that if there are any other addresses on that system to be found, they are in the PST or OST file and that is something I don't know how to troubleshoot/re-access.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    That folder is for the Mail app that comes with Windows 10 and is NOT part of Outlook 365.

We need to see the screen shot of your Outlook in the Contacts area?
    It should look some like mine?

Attached Files:

7. Alex Ethridge

I know that but it is one of the places one should look as Outlook can be configured to use addresses in there.

I haven't been back there yet. She's out of town at present.

She still has all her addresses on her iPhone and I'm looking at possibly exporting them from the phone to a CSV file but since I know almost zero about iPhones, I'm not sure if I'll ever figure that out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice