1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Default Backup PST

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Omoon, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

Each time I open MS Outlook it first looks to A: drive for a backup.pst disk. If I place a blank floppy in A: drive it's okay. How can I move the default location for backup.pst into an Outlook folder? I'm running Office 2000 on XP Home Edition. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Remove the pst from your profile. Open Outlook, go to Tools, then Services. Find the backup.pst file, click on it, go to properties to see the current location, then click on the remove button. Then go back to Services and click add, personal folder and browse back to the location.

Does that work??

3. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

I'm running Office 2000. Tools menu doesn't have "Services".

If I run a search for PST files I'm taken to an archive file and 1 other PST file. Can't open either one. Application associated with these file types is Office Data File (by default). If in Outlook I go to File and click on PST files I'm taken to My Documents, where there are none. I just visited MS Office website and downloaded an addin for creating PST backups for all or selected Outlook categories. Will see if that helps.

4. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

Okay. I found the two PST files: Here's the path in XP:Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. In both cases the file properties indicate they are associated with Office Data File, however they can't be opened. Now that I've found them I can delete them since they're not needed at present. Then I will see what the new addin does with them.

Thanks for your help. Additional comments appreciated.

5. cybertech

:eek: OOpppsss!! Don't delete those, they could be the pst files you are trying to access!!

If you are using OUTLOOK 2000 it should have services.

To get to the services menu open OUTLOOK. Go to TOOLS and SERVICES.

If you are using OUTLOOK EXPRESS it will be different.

Please post back and tell what's going on!

6. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

I'm using Outlook 2000. My Tools menu shows Address Book, Find, Advanced Find, Organize, Empty Deleted Items Folder, etc. Using XP Search I find 3 files: archive.pst, backup.pst and outlook.pst. All are located at Documents and Settings - IBM - Application Data - Microsoft - Outlook.

The archive and outlook files contain data. All three show attributes: Archive. All three show their type as Office Data File. All three show "Opens With: Unknown Application".

I don't know which application to associate with these files. Outlook?

Since downloading the Microsoft addin, Outlook no longer seeks a disk in A : drive when starting.

7. cybertech

OK, maybe you are using personalized menus and that's why you can't see the full menu??
    You can't "open" the pst files by associating them with an application. You need to set them up to be used while in outlook. Let's try a different way. Close outlook, right click on the desktop icon and go to properties. Do you see the files that represent the pst files on your computer?
    If not click on Add, Personal Folders then browse to the file location and select the file.
    If so click on Properties and look at the Path, does this match the locaiton of the pst file on your computer?

8. cybertech

This is the Outlook icon.

9. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't have that.

10. cybertech

How do you start Outlook?

11. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

I begin with Start then click on the MS Outlook icon in the upper left column. That opens Outlook email and I navigate from there to the various Outlook applications.

There is also an Outlook icon on the desktop. If I right click it and select properties, I'm taken to the dialup networking window. If I click Start and then select All Programs, navigate to MS Outlook and right click to properties, I get the dialup networking window.

12. Omoon

Omoon Thread Starter

I appreciate your help, but I've lost track of what we're trying to accomplish. I can navigate to the PST files which reside in Outlook. The original problem was corrected after deleting the original two PST files then installing the addin from Microsoft. It apparently replaced the two "deleted" PST files. That also eliminated Outlook first seeking the A: drive for a backup pst file.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice