Outlook Does Strange Things

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jim73

I was recently searching my Outlook 2016 folders for a document I needed for a newsletter I edit and couldn't find it anywhere, even though I knew I had received it. I searched everywhere, including the Recover items and found nothing. They weren't in any folder and weren't deleted. After coming out of the Recover items, my Spam folder popped up with several messages. When I looked the Spam folder I found the message and several others from the same individual. I never moved them to Spam and have always received this person's emails in my Inbox. I am confused and wonder if this has happened to anyone else?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Maybe check your rules to see if there are any that would move the emails.

As to the search, maybe reindexing may help:

From microsoft's site:

Rebuild your search catalog

1. Close Outlook and open Control Panel.
    Note: Depending on the version of Office you're using, you might need to click the Start button, and on the Start menu, right-click Control Panel.

2. Do one of the following:
    • Choose Indexing Options. (available if you see all Control Panel icons)
    • In the Search box, type Indexing, and then choose Indexing Options
  3. In the Indexed Locations dialog box, under Change selected locations, select the check box for the location you want to modify, and then click OK.
  4. In the Advanced Options dialog box, on the Index Settings tab, under Troubleshooting, click Rebuild.
    Note: A Rebuild Index dialog box opens warning that the "index might take a long time to complete." Choose OK to start rebuilding the index.

Jim73

Ran "Rebuild Index" Thursday evening. Today, Saturday, it is back moving a legitimate emails (so far just one sender's emails) to my Spam Folder. I am running the Office Internet repair tool to see if this helps. A check of the Microsoft Support page shows a similar thing has been happening for a couple of years where legitimate mail is sent to the Junk Folder. Since I have an Office 365 account, if the repair doesn't work I will try calling Microsoft.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To confirm, you do not have any rules to move legitimate emails to junk? Also, check online to make sure there are no rules there as well as the Junk Mail section to make sure nothing in the Block Senders is there.

Jim73

Thanks for the response. This is what Microsoft checked for me and it seems to have corrected the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online