Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook downloads email for wrong account

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Al Peabody 
#1 ·
We are running Outlook 2003 in XP SP2 Home Edition. My wife and I each have our own user name, etc.

We have 3 POP email accounts: Hers, Mine and Ours, with different usernames and passwords, all with the same ISP (Comcast.net). I have set up her Outlook account to receive Hers and Ours, with instructions to leave a copy of Our messages on the server for 10 days. Of course, I have set up mine to download Mine and Ours, leaving Ours on the server 10 days. That way, theoretically, I'll see all my email and our email, she'll see all our email and her email, unless one or the other of us doesn't get on for 10 days (highly unlikely...10 hours maybe).

Mine works fine. But she keeps getting stuff like the CERT reports, stuff from The Tech Guy, reviews from ZD Net and other stuff she doesn't want to wade through. When she opens one, at the top it is clearly addressed to me, not her or us. When she pulls down Tools and selects Email accounts, Outlook shows her only two: Hers and Ours. Microsoft KB search reveals nothing; ditto Comcast.net Help search.

Any clues? How come she can't stop getting mail for an account which is not listed in Outlook, or even in Start/Control Panel/Mail/Profiles/Accounts?

Thanx for any suggestions...

al

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have an answer, but am having a somewhat similar problem. It sounds like you and your wife share one computer, that has two identities on it right?

I have two computers, pc1 configured to only pick email for pc1, and pc2 configured to pick up pc1 & companysales email accounts. However, pc2 will receive email clearly addressed to pc1 if pc1 hasn't already picked up its email.

I look forward to hearing what anyone has to say for either of us! I am stumped. Only thing I can think of to try is to uninstall and reinstall Outlook from pc2, and then re-setup the folders, accounts, etc...

#4 ·
I had two forwarding rules. Email to Me was to be forwarded to Inbox-Al; email to her was to be forwarded to Inbox-Kim. Both of these are folders I added to my account.

To see if this was the trouble, I have deleted both rules. Now we'll see within a day or two if that fixed it.

Thanks!

al

#5 ·
Set up different login accounts in Windows and seperate email profiles for each user. I don't believe you can do it the way you are attempting with one login on one profile because Outlook will download from all three accounts. Either that or have it prompt for a password prior to the email being downloaded.

#6 ·
My gangly attempts at writing understandable prose are my greatest problem. Actually, we each have our own XP user account, login, Outlook user profile, etc. Access acts as if we were on different computers. It does everything right, except that it has been downloading email sent to Al when either Al (me) or Kim runs access in their separate universes. It also properly downloads email addressed to Kim&Al when either of us is on. It does not, however, download email addressed to Kim when Al is logged on. That is because my email profile includes two users: Al and Kim&Al. The question has been why it works properly for one of us and not for the other (when Kim is logged on, even though her Outlook profile names only two accounts, Kim and Kim&Al, it actually downloads email for all three accounts.

Or maybe not. Since I deleted the two forwarding rules in my (Al) account, I haven't seen any emails addressed to me appearing in Kim's inbox. Yet. Maybe simply because nobody has sent me any email!

al

#7 ·
I went to www.comcast.net and logged on as the joint account there. Then I sent me an email addressed to Al only, and a second one addressed to Kim only, and just for fun a third one sent to kimandal only. The kimandal account received BOTH the "to kimandal" and the "to Al only" emails, but not the "to Kim only" email.

I accordingly looked all over my settings and found nothing telling it to send or copy or whatever any email anywhere. So I sent an email to support @ comcast.net. Perhaps they can fix it...

al

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.