1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook e-mail format problem under XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ITTF Museum, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITTF Museum

ITTF Museum Thread Starter

Hello group,
    This will probably be something really basic, but suddenly my e-mail form for sending out e-mails has changed, with no Subject line and no cc: line. One day it was fine, the next it just changed - hate that kind of behavior.
    Now my e-mails arrive to the recipient with a blank Subject, so I am concerned that important e-mails might be blocked by some SPAM filters because of the blank Subject line. Have tried the tools and options offered but nothing seems to give me back my normal New e-mail form, with Subject line. Hope someone can help ... Thanks, Charles

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

I use Mozilla Thunderbird now and am happy with it . If you want to download Outlook again and see if it fixes your problem go here http://www.tucows.com/preview/194179.html There are also a few Security updates for Outlook if you dont already have them .

3. rebon

rebon

There is a good site here that may get it fixed for you. Look at the problems section.

good luck.

4. ITTF Museum

Thanks for replies. I didn't find anything specific to this problem on the OE site you mentioned, rebon. I was hoping for a simpler fix than downloading and re-installing OE but will do that as a last resort, thanks Dust Sailor. Just now I thought I found a clever way around this annoying problem: tried using the Tools, Design a Form, then opening Message in the Standard forms library. Voila, it has the Subject and cc: lines. So then I confidently do a Tools/Forms/Publish form as and save the form design in my Personal Forms library. This would suggest I could simply do a Tools/Forms and select my form, right? But no, when I do that, up comes NOT the form with the Subject line, but the same blasted blank e-mail form without Subject line that I get when I click on New. Depressing ... Why would OE forcibly suppress the subject line from a form I saved? Does that suggest some higher level parameter is set somewhere? Charles

5. ITTF Museum

Persistence pays off, though still some strange behavior. I found a way around the problem: click on Actions, then New Mail Message using ... then select Microsoft Word (plain text) This gives me a format with the Subject line. So at least that lets me send e-mails with a subject line - why I have to resort to that technique instead of just clicking on New remains a mystery.
    There must be some option or higher level parameter set that hides the Subject line, both when I prepare to send an e-mail via New, and when I select an e-mail to read from my Inbox. The Inbox shows the subject column, but the Subject line is again suppressed when I click on an e-mail to read.
    Same under plain text (except via Actions as described above), rich text or html formats, no Subject line. OK guys, who took my Subject line and how did the thief accomplish the crime? Charles

6. ITTF Museum

Missing Subject line problem SOLVED!
    It was easier than I thought. After bringing up a New blank message form, still without my precious Subject line, then click View and click on Bcc and voila, the subject line returns. Somehow - and I certainly did not uncheck this field - it was turned off - I never even used the View command for my e-mails as the defaults were fine for me. Now subsequent New blank message forms always come up with the Subject line. Very annoying that this happened Some experts thought it was malware, but fortunately it was just a simple basic option that mysteriously was unchecked. Why the Bcc option could hide the Subject line is rather strange. Thanks.
    Charles

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice