Outlook Email Problem

LJFried

Ye Olde Luddite is back again.

I created a free Outlook email address yesterday for occasional use. I asked a friend to send me a "test" email but it didn't go through to the "Focused" folder and, no, it's not in the junk/spam box either. I am getting unwanted emails in the "Other" folder. What is this old Luddite doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check your email online to make sure that you do see it there. If it's not, make sure your friend has the correct email address.

LJFried

Thank you - I gave the email address to my friend, I'm sure she entered it correctly. What do you mean by "check your email online?" Please explain -- talk to me like I'm four years old. Honestly. Thank you.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
www.outlook.com is the web based access to your free outlook account. I assumed you are using Outlook application.

LJFried

sorry - I found Outlook on a browser called Pale Moon - is that what you mean?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Try sending an email to yourself, if you receive it then the friend entered the email address incorrectly, if you don’t then ensure the account is set up correctly.
Check at outlook.com & login with the account details.
Which email client are you using? Unless it’s Windows Mail app then you may require an app specific password.

LJFried

I tried but did not get my email. Don't know what "email client" means. Sorry. Under "Settings," I see something which says: POP Options. Let devices and apps use POP - it is currently set to "no." Could that be the problem? Should I change to "yes."

As I posted above, I am getting junk emails in the "Other" folder. Thanks for your help.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
An email client is a program or app you use to download & replay to emails - Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird etc. Only Windows Mail will not require an app specific password as it is the default email program for Microsoft.

If the account is using POP rather than IMAP then yes this should be on.

LJFried

U R very kind.

I changed the POP to "yes" but did not get an email. I have no idea what email client I'm using - how do I find this out? Are you saying that there's more than one for Outlook?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Are you viewing the email via outlook.com or via a program on your PC?
You can set up an outlook email account on any email client; I have my hotmail account on an email client on various devices.
If you’re using outlook.com then the problem certainly lies with the sender making a mistake with the email address.
Have you checked the inbox rather than the ‘focused‘ folder?
Have to sent an email to yourself to ensure the email address is set up fully?

LJFried

Thank you again. I access Outlook on a browser called Pale Moon. The "sender" did not make a mistake since I am the sender. :)

The "focused" folder is part of the Inbox. As I posted above, I'm getting junk/spam emails on the "Other" folder so my account must be set up right in some way. No?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Then the problem may be the browser. Can you try a more supported browser like Edge or Firefox?
Yes if you’re receiving email even spam then the account is set up correctly.
If you turn off focused does anything show?

LJFried

thank you - I went to Outlook using Edge - same problem. How do I turn off "focused?"

plodr

Liz
Here is my inbox and folder using Palemoon and going to the website.
outlook.jpg

As you can see there is no focused folder in the inbox or as one of the folders on the left side.

Please post a screenshot so I can figure out where that "focused" item is located. Once I see that, perhaps I can figure out how to eliminate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online