1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook.exe

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kbennm, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbennm

kbennm Thread Starter

I cannot open microsoft office 2003. i get the following screen: appname: outlook.exe appver: 11.0.8818.0 modname: hungapp modver: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
    files included in report: C\:DOCUME~1\USER\LOCALS~1\TEMP\ WER32bb.dir00\OUTLOOK.EXE.mdmp the second file is the same except for the ending: \appcompat.txt

After I try to open and get the screens the only way to get out of the program is task manager. I have used the "detect and repair", have re-installed the program as well as doing several diagnostics. tried to download a trial version of office 2007 but it would not install. probably as i am low on space..1.85 gb.

Can anyone help me on this. I am so frustrated after talking to the experts at RegistrySmart whose program I bought. The program may be OK for most things but could not resolve my issues and their tech support staff were unbelievable. Do I have to pay the ransom at Microsoft tech support?

2. rodeognome

rodeognome

maybe run and download Ccleaner to get rid of your temporary files

www.ccleaner.com

3. kbennm

kbennm Thread Starter

thanks but that was the first of many diagnostics that were tried including buying RegistrySmart which is much more detailed than CC

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

can you give some more background to this problem?

5. kbennm

kbennm Thread Starter

it is pretty much as i have described. thanks

6. rodeognome

rodeognome

kbennm, what i mean is did this problem happen out of the blue ? did you install any new software recently?

In the meantime here are a few steps you might try:

Disable Anti-Virus programs or some other third party program
    =========================================================

Please disable any Anti-Virus, firewalls, spy, Anti-Spam programs and check whether you have installed any third party program related to Outlook on your computer. If so, please temporarily disable it.

Does the problem still persist? If so, please go on to the next step:

Step 2: Start Outlook in Safe Mode

=======================
    1. Quit Outlook.

2. Choose Start menu -> Run

3. Type "Outlook.exe /safe" and click OK. (Without quotation marks but there is a space in front of "/")

Please perform a test in Outlook Safe Mode.

If the problem persists in Outlook Safe Mode, Please try next step.

Step 3: Create a new profile

===========================================================
    Please create a new profile to see if the problem is caused by the corrupt profile

1. Close Outlook.

2. Click Start, and click Control Panel. Click Mail icon.

3. Click Show Profiles.

4. In the "When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile:" area, please select "Prompt for a profile to be used"

5. Click Add and type the new profile name as you like in the Profile name box.

Note: Please don't choose the same name of your original profile.

6. Choose "Add a new e-mail account" and click Next.

7. Choose your email type and type the necessary information. (You can gain information of the email account from the ISP)

8. Click Next and click Finish.

9. Reopen Outlook. Choose the new profile in the profile list and click OK.

For the benifit of other users - please post back your results.

7. rodeognome

rodeognome

did that work for you?

8. Krash

Krash

Great suggestions Rodeo.

I strongly recommend Rodeo's steps. They might just save you the trouble and the dollars.

I will wait for your response on the above before suggesting something which would completely depend on the outcome of having tried Rodeo's steps.

9. lawhittam

lawhittam

I, too, am not able to open Outlook 2003. OS = XP Home, HP Pavillion Laptop

What I did:
    Did not install any new programs.
    Shut computer down last night.
    Opened it this AM and Outlook would not open - starts to come up and then shuts itself down immediately.

What I have tried:
    Safe mode - will not open
    New profile - will not open (but did successfully send a test message)
    Uninstall, reinstall, repair, windows update - still no changes
    PST opens on another computer with no problems
    Deleted Extend.dat - no change
    Ran the cleaner - no change - again
    Thought about gouging my eyes out, but decided that would not yield the desired results either!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - especially if it can save what is left of my sanity!

Lori

10. Krash

Krash

Safe mode of Outlook or Safe Mode of Windows.

Outlook Safe Mode is Using Outlook /safe in the Run window.

Windows Safe mode is accessed by using the F8 Key while the computer is booting up. IF you havent tried this option, then give it a try. Try using Safe mode With Networking to see if it makes a difference.

This is how you do it. Boot the computer and when the first screen appears (Before Windows Load screen) start tapping the "F8" key quickly till you see a menu. Use the arrow keys to scroll down/up to Safe Mode with Networking. If you are able to open Outlook in this Windows mode then its probably the antivirus or another third party program.

11. lawhittam

lawhittam

Krash,

Originally, I had tried to open Outlook in Outlook safe mode, and that is what did not work. Based on your suggestion, I started Windows in safe mode. This did allow Outlook to open and download email. Restarted not in safe mode - same problem as before with Outlook (starts to open and then shuts itself down).
    Sooooo, turned off all symantec products in msconfig. (Once had Norton, not still active, but thought I would see if that was the problem.) Nothing changed with Outlook. Tried to disable Windows firewall. Still, no changes. Ran another virus program (just installed it, so therefore not the source of this problem). No virus or problems detected.

Would you have any suggestions as to which 3rd party programs might be the source of this problem?

Many thanks,

Lori

12. Krash

Krash

So there is either a service or a program that is not allowing you to open Outlook. Go back to MS config, Disable everything under startup and disable all NON Microsoft Services under Services tab (Use HIDE ALL MS Services to show only NON MS ones). Restart the computer. If this works as well , open MS Config again enable all services and programs related to your antivirus. Restart your comp and try again.

Am sure its an A/v service or startup program. Without taking a look at it myself I Cannot guess a name though.

13. lawhittam

lawhittam

You mean you don't know what programs I have on my computer? You don't read minds?!? :rolleyes: I wasn't thinking when I asked that, eh?

So, I went back to MSCONFIG, disabled all (nonMS) services and restarted again. No change. So, then disabled all the start up items. That did the trick. Went back into MSCONFIG and enabled only the start up items I know I want as well as all of the services. So far, so good!

My humble and profuse thanks for your help with this terribly frustrating problem. I am very, VERY grateful!

Lori

14. Krash

Krash

:) You are welcome. You may want to change the status of the thread to SOLVED.

15. lawhittam

lawhittam

I don't think I can do that because I didn't start the thread...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice