1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express 5.0 *grrr's*

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mr.Member, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr.Member

Mr.Member Thread Starter

ok i did my research and tried my best to get this damn thing to work again and finally i fixed it on my own. but there is still a problem i couldn't fix ... i saved .dbx files "sent items.dbx - inbox.dbx - folders.dbx - and deleted items.dbx" from before and i can't restore this for my life. i try replacing it in the appropriate folder and when i run outlook i get a error message like msoe.dll ... and if i try to import it in from outlook it doesn't give me the option to search for where the files are or anything. so any suggestion on this would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

The first one to help me gets a prize! :D (heh heh heh)

2. daizee97

daizee97

Did you try using the import from OE message store? Just point the import wizard to the folder where all the dbx files are stored. When I used to use OE 5 (I think I was punishing myself), I had changed my message store folder to an easy to find place (i.e., c:\windows\desktop\MAIL) so maybe put those files into a new folder somewhere easy to find and then try importing from there.

3. daizee97

daizee97

Here is a better answer:

Create a new folder in Outlook Express named "temp". Copy any message into the new Temp folder. Close OE and rename "Temp.dbx" in your OE store folder. Now copy the *.dbx to be imported into the store folder and rename it to "Temp.dbx". Open OE and rename the Temp folder if desired. (see also: The Partial Backup)

Basically, you have to create a folder with that dbx filename from inside OE, then move the dbx file into your store file and delete the old folder. Does this make sense?

4. Mr.Member

Mr.Member Thread Starter

ok i hate this program completely ... i accidentally loaded new email from my email server and it wouldn't open them at all ... so i had to re-install and now i cannot re-dl my emails off the comcast server ... so they are lost forever ... and when i start oe 5 it has a very annoying address book error but it still lets me open it ... and i can't do 90% of things like open emails in it ... (win 2k nt pro btw) ... all i wanna do is COMPLETELY remove this (i have a proggy that removes all the registries from outlook also) and then re-install it back to the way it was when i first installed the os. what first started this problem was when i tried to just replace the .dbx files ... the first one i tried was folders.dbx and i got a msoe.dll opening error. but i reinstalled and installed so many times i wanna just start fresh. now the most annoying part is that when i uninstall it and the registries also ... the folder is still in the program files folder ... and i can't delete the folder cause windows is using. but the worst part is whenever i try to just delete the files within the fodler, it re-generates over and over everytime i do it! ... so i am stuck for sure ... well all i want is to have it freashly installed again, and have my old .dbx files and folders back on it. any help is appreciated (lastly, i did do that folder in the outlookexpress folder, and naming it .dbx ... it then aloud me to choose certain programs but still wouldn't work good)

thx again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice