outlook express 6 compact messages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eyebabe4

Hi there,
I have xp pro and use outlook express 6. Every time i close out of my email program i get the following message followed by a 'ding' sound

"To Free up Disk Space Outlook express can compact messages, this may take up to a few minutes."
It gives me the option of OK or Cancel. I always hit cancel but i don't want that message to pop up at all. i want to close out of outlook express without that message coming up. It didn't always do that. It's annoying. What would happen if i said ok? What does the message mean and how can i keep it from popping up. Thank you so much for helping me.
Eileen

All of your email is stored in a single file on your hard drive. When you delete messages and empty the trash, the file becomes "fragmented" similar to how your entire drive becomes fragmented when you delete files and download new ones.

Clicking the OK button basically defrags your Outlook Express mail file. It MAY empty your trash folder, but other than that, it doesn't delete anything from your inbox, etc...

I would say that clicking OK and letting it run will not only clear up some space on your hard drive, it will make the message go away in the future.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online