1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express 6 freezes upon opening

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by SkeeterB, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkeeterB

SkeeterB Thread Starter

I have used OE6 for years and had no problems. When I click on my OE icon it opens, then freezes. If I try and click on any part of it, I get a not responding message and have to alt/control/del and end the program. My IE works fine and to my knowledge all other programs work fine also. I've tried downloading all the new registry file cleaner programs and so on. I have found in all the reading I've done that you should not use OE to store files...I have done that, so may have a corrupt file, but don't know how to fix it. I have three computers and the one I do most of my emailing on is the one with the problem...all the others work fine. I have Win XP operating system. IE 7 for my internet home page. HELP!!!:eek:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi SkeeterB,

You'll need to locate your OE Message Store folder.
    You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
    At the top of any folder(My Documents for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

Search the hard drive for *.dbx.
    Be sure to search for Hidden files and Folders.
    Open the folder containing the DBX files.
    If there is more than one folder containing DBX files, open the one that contains the DBX files that are named the same as the folders in OE.

Click Edit>Select All.
    Right click one of the DBX files and click Properties on the Menu.
    Make sure the "Read Only" is unchecked. If it's not, clear the check and OK then try OE.
    If it's already unchecked, close the Properties box and do the following with OE closed.

In the OE Message Store folder, with All files Selected, click Edit>Cut.
    Go to the Desktop and right click an empty area.
    Select New>Folder from the menu. Name it Mailbackup.
    Open Mailbackup and click Edit>Paste.
    All the DBX files should now be in the Mailbackup folder on the Desktop and the Message Store folder should be empty.
    Try to open OE.
    Be aware that this will remove all messages from OE and it will start with only new, empty default folders. You can Import your messages from uncorrupted DBX files back into OE from the folder on the Desktop.
    T.

3. SkeeterB

SkeeterB Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I was able to get some tech support from Microsoft. I did try yours, but am not smart enough to find the file folder for OE6. I am up and running and it was pretty easy, so all is good. :p(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice