1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express 6 Frozen

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Boswell, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boswell

Boswell Thread Starter

Hello, Whenever I activate Outlook Express it seems to be trying to send an old message from the out box. I can neither send or get new messages or shift between files. Once I click on anything, I get an endless hourglass, Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Boswell

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Boswell and welcome to TSG,

Can you open OE and access the Tools menu ?
    Also, can you open the Sent Items folder and move all the messages you want to keep to a folder of your own creation ?

T.

3. Boswell

Boswell Thread Starter

Hi T. Thanks for the reply. I can't get in Tools or Sent Messages. The report from Microsoft says that there may be spyware etc. I've run Spybot but it doesn't seem to help.
    Regards,
    Boswell

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Okay. Let's see if this will get OE to work.
    Have OE closed for this.

You need to get into the Message Store folder for OE that contains all the DBX files.
    Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E (both at the same time) on your keyboard. The Windows key is the one between Control and Alt with the Windows logo on it.

You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
    At the top of the folder click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

Use the folder tree on the left (click on the plus signs next to the little folders to expand them) to browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\Lots of numbers and letters\Microsoft\Outlook Express". Click on Outlook Express and that opens the Store Folder.

Once in the Store folder, do a quick backup by clicking Edit>Select All.
    Next click Edit>Copy. Minimize the Store folder to the Taskbar.
    Go to your Desktop and right click an empty area.
    On the menu click New>Folder. Name it Mailbackup.
    Open Mailbackup and click Edit>Paste to place copies of the DBX files into this folder.
    Close Mailbackup.
    Call the Store folder off the Taskbar and find and delete the Outbox.dbx, Sent items.dbx, and Folders.dbx.
    See if OE will open and give you access to anything.
    T.

5. Boswell

Boswell Thread Starter

Hey Throoper, This seemed to work. Sorry for the delay but I had to leave town before trying your suggestions. Gracia.
    Boswell(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice