1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express 6 Inbox problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hotelguru, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotelguru

hotelguru Thread Starter

I am using MS Outlook Express 6 running under Windows Professional 2000. It has served me well for many years but yesterday a problem arose.

I cannot see any of the messages I have filed in my inbox. I have many folders and sub-folders and I think this may be the problem. I can see all the folders and even that one of them has 62 unread messages (and others show me I have unread messages) but it won't let me look at any of them. I also cannot receive any mail to my inbox.

I remember way back something going wrong with OE4 and I did a re-install and it fixed the problem (can't remember exactly what it was though). Would this fix the inbox problem?

Can anyone please tell me in step-by-step instructions how I can repair this.

Many thanks
    Lawrence Biren

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sounds like you might have your folders filtered to show "unread mail only" or only "mail less than X days old"...?

3. hotelguru

hotelguru Thread Starter

Thanks for your post.

It's currently set to "Show all messages" and I can't find where to change "mail less than X days old".

I have lots of other folders which are working fine. I can even send email, but I can't receive any and I can't read what's in my inbox.

Any other ideas?

Brgds
    Lawrence Biren

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Do you have other IDENTITIES created in your OE that you could switch to to see if they're working (to to looks funny there ... but it is what I said!)

If you don't, but your guesstimation that you have overwhelmed it with subfolders is correct, then maybe it is worth a few moments to set up a temporary identity and send yourself a mail and see if it works! That might point out if OE is messing up or just your layout.

Of course... I did just say maybe.

- Castleheart :cool:

and perhaps this would do better in WEB & Email, moderator types! Those folks include more Email in their diet. !

5. hotelguru

hotelguru Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try creating a new identity and send myself a message
    but I don't think this will work as it won't let me receive any other messages. I'm not at my laptop right now so I can't tell you what error message I get, when I try to receive email, I'll do that later.

Hotelguru

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    >>but I don't think this will work as it won't let me receive any other messages

That's correct. You'll just need to go to File-Change Identity (or whatever that menu item is called)...

...or get yourself Outlook!

:p

7. hotelguru

hotelguru Thread Starter

Before doing anything else I tried re-installing but this didin't work. While I'm trying all these things I'm using Outlook, I don't like it as I'm used to OE but I think I may just have to get used to it.

Will post any interesting developments on this as and when.

Thanks for your help.
    Lawrence

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice