1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express 6 Troubles

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Hrumachis334, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334 Thread Starter

Heres what my problems are, at first I had outlook express 5.5 and I used that for checking my e-mail, it would download my messages but I couldn't send anything, I then looked up the problem at the microsoft support place.

Heres the link to it, go here before you continue to read the message.

http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...800ccc0e&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=OEX

Well first of all I don't have MSN for my ISP, I have earthlink, I do have MSN Messenger, if theres any relevance, but I've tried closing it and I still had the same problem. Second, I don't have an email address at msn.com so that article was no help wahtsoever to me, even if I did it still wouldn't do anything helpful anyway. I do have an account with hotmail.com wich I had before I got my new address, and I never had msn as my ISP in the past either. Well now I have downloaded the new IE6, yesterday, I can't even download messages, I get important instructions from eBay auctions ending, so if I'm not able to check my e-mail I'll get negative feedback at eBay. I really need help on this, anytyhing at all is appreciated :).

2. plejon

plejon

First of all, EarthLink offers webmail
    http://webmail.earthlink.net/

This allows you to send/receive mail through a browser web interface. This can help you out while you figure out what's wrong with OE.

To configure OE, you will need some basic information from earthlink. You should have received this info when you subscribed to their service. If you don't have it, call thier customer service department.
    - the name of the earthlink incoming mail server, also called pop3 server
    - the name of the earthlink outgoing mail server, also called smtp server
    - user user account name for earthlink, and your password

Start OE and go to Tools/Account / Mail tab. Open the properties of your earthlink mail account (or create a new account). Go to the servers tab and full in the information above. You might need to restart OE for the changes to take effect

Peter

3. Hrumachis334

I'm sorry I should've explained further the e-mail account I have isn't with earthlink its on my own server, I have all the info in correctly, but the error I get is the error where MSN son't allow you to send an e-mail if your connected through their network even though I'm not and theres no other reason I've been given as to why I should be getting it. I did remember I was able to check my e-mail this morning and I got IE6 last night and I looked at the error message and the number corresponded with the usual high server load or server maintenance error but I still can't send e-mail and I want to know why that is and how I can go about fixing it. Theres no reason why I shouldn't be able to send e-mails through that account and I have a company do you know how unproffesional it looks to reply to a customer with a hotmail.com address.

4. plejon

plejon

Not sure if I understand you correctly.

Are you telling me that you have your mail server running in your company network ? Does you OE connect to this server on your company network, instead of earthlink ?

Where does the problem occur ? Can you send messages from your pc to your mail server, or is the problem that the mail server cannot send the mail to its final destination ?

Same question on the receiving side: can your mailserver receive mail from the internet ? Or is it your pc that cannot receive mail that is stored on your company's mail server ?

5. Hrumachis334

>>>Are you telling me that you have your mail server running in your company network ?

Yes.

>>>Does you OE connect to this server on your company network, instead of earthlink ?

For pop3 and smtp, yes, for net, no.

>>>Where does the problem occur ?

It occurs when I try to send e-mail I get the error that is shown in the link.

>>>Can you send messages from your pc to your mail server, or is the problem that the mail server cannot send the mail to its final destination ?

It receives but it can't send. My server can send but MSN won't let me send anything.

I think the rest have already been answered in the above answers

6. plejon

plejon

First of all, I don't think the error message is related to MSN. If MSN is not your provider, I don't see how they could block you sending messages.

To further debug this problem, I'm going to try to explain in a few sentences how a mail server works.

A mail server basically act as a sort of buffer between yourself and other mail users. When you send an e-mail message to me, your e-mail client OE will connect to your company's e-mail server. It will send the mail message to the server, at which point, as far as OE is concerned, that message has been sent. It will move from OUTBOX to SENT folder.

The mail server will then determine what has to happen. If the mail goes to someone else in your company, the server will place the mail in that person's mailbox, until he/she connect and picks up their mail.
    If the mail goes to someone outside your company, the server will forward the mail over the internet to it's destination.

If I understand you correctly, you get an error message sending your mail from OE to your mail server. The message you sent remains in the OUTBOX of OE.
    Things I would check are :
    1) Check in your e-mail account properties that they still point to your company's mail server (my earlier post explains how to do this)
    2) Can you ping the machine on which the mail is running ? This will ensure that your network connection to the server is OK.
    3) Check that your mail server is running. Can't really say how as I don't know which mail server you have.

Peter

7. jchris102

jchris102

not sure about your problem butt you can get your mail from www.mail2web.com

8. Hrumachis334

I've done everything you said already, I got no response from pinging it, it said it didn't exist even though it does, actually I just tried going to my site and it didn't load but I have the whole year paid and it hasn't even been 6 months. I already know how about 95% of how to use things and how things work on the net so you don't have to explain everything to me, things will go faster this way. I've tried just about all the simple things I usually only post something when I have no friggin clue whatsoever as to what to do, and I know a lot about stuff like this. I need a big answer is what I'm saying but right now it doesn't even matter ecause my servers down and I have no way of accessing it, although I still do want to know why I can't send mail.

9. Jeckler

Jeckler

It seems there's a bottleneck in communication.
    1st, do us all a favor and calm down a little. It'll help, trust me. I'm not trying to be mean, but your attitude isn't conducive to getting your problem fixed.
    Where is your mail server physically located? In OE6, what is the name of the outgoing mail server? You were having this problem with OE5, right?
    Forget any reference to MSN, or MSN Messenger, none of that applies here, since you don't use MSN, and Messenger isn't even related to email.
    You said pinging the mail server generates a "server not found" response even though you know it's there. Well, that's a step in the right direction. Do you know the IP address of the server? Are there other machines that can succesfully send mail using the same SMTP server, by name or IP?
    You say the server is on your network, so does your machine have a direct LAN connection, you're not dialing up anywhere?
    Is there a hosts file on your machine (no extension, just the word hosts)? What's in it?
    Not sure what OS your using, but try this:
    From a command/DOS prompt: "telnet 'name_of_outgoing_server' 25" (replace the obvious part) and see if you can connect.

10. Hrumachis334

I'm sorry if I came off hostile I didn't mean to I'm not that kind of person.

>>>Where is your mail server physically located?
    I have no clue, you must have misunderstood me, I'm purchasing space on a server through an intermediary.

>>>In OE6, what is the name of the outgoing mail server?
    mail.obsidianforge.com

>>>You were having this problem with OE5, right?
    Yes

>>>Do you know the IP address of the server?
    I don't know it and can't check because its down.

>>>Are there other machines that can succesfully send mail using the same SMTP server, by name or IP?
    I haven't tried

>>>You say the server is on your network, so does your machine have a direct LAN connection, you're not dialing up anywhere?
    I'm sorry for the confusion but I don't have a network, I own a small graphic design company that I run myself.

>>>Is there a hosts file on your machine (no extension, just the word hosts)? What's in it?
    Yes, this is it.

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

XXX.0.0.1 localhost
    The above ip address was edited because it says local host, I know my IP address and thats not it but I figured it be safer.

>>>Not sure what OS your using, but try this:
    From a command/DOS prompt: "telnet 'name_of_outgoing_server' 25" (replace the obvious part) and see if you can connect.

I'm running Win98, and the telnet box opens but it hangs and nothing happens, i have to do ctrl+alt+delete to close it.

11. Jeckler

Jeckler

>>>Where is your mail server physically located?
    I have no clue, you must have misunderstood me, I'm purchasing space on a server through an intermediary.

godaddy.com in conjunction with hostinworld.com

>>>In OE6, what is the name of the outgoing mail server?
    mail.obsidianforge.com

which is an alias for ns.hostinworld.com. Try that address instead of mail.obsidianforge.com for your outgoing mail server.

>>>You were having this problem with OE5, right?
    Yes

Have you ever been able to send mail with this company? I noticed your domain has only existed for 8 days. Have you contacted your mail host for help?

>>>Do you know the IP address of the server?
    I don't know it and can't check because its down.

It's 66.33.80.138. Try that instead of mail.obsidianforge,.com for your outgoing mail server. When did it go down? I should say, when did you notice it was down?

>>>Are there other machines that can succesfully send mail using the same SMTP server, by name or IP?
    I haven't tried

Could ya?

>>>You say the server is on your network, so does your machine have a direct LAN connection, you're not dialing up anywhere?
    I'm sorry for the confusion but I don't have a network, I own a small graphic design company that I run myself.

Ok, when you said you have your own mail server, it confused people. So, you're using dialup to connect. Is it Earthlink?

>>>Is there a hosts file on your machine (no extension, just the word hosts)? What's in it?
    Yes, this is it.

XXX.0.0.1 localhost
    The above ip address was edited because it says local host, I know my IP address and thats not it but I figured it be safer.

127.0.0.1, every machine uses it for the localhost.

>>>Not sure what OS your using, but try this:

I'm running Win98, and the telnet box opens but it hangs and nothing happens, i have to do ctrl+alt+delete to close it.

You're putting the 25 at the end, right?

From 6PM, PST to 6:30PM, PST, I am able to ping the mail server, as well as connect to it. If you can't do either, try another PC. Try pinging by IP and see if that works. Call Earthlink and make sure they can ping it, both by name and IP. Call your mail host and quadruple check with them that you're set up correctly. Let them help.

12. Hrumachis334

which is an alias for ns.hostinworld.com. Try that address instead of mail.obsidianforge.com for your outgoing mail server.

I suspected this wouldn't work and it didn't because ns.hostinworld.com is just obsidianforge.com not mail.obsidianforge.com

Have you ever been able to send mail with this company? I noticed your domain has only existed for 8 days. Have you contacted your mail host for help?

I've had my domain and server space for about 6 months, I just didn't upload anything until 8 days ago.

when did you notice it was down?
    Yesterday afternoon but it is back up now, so I can receive my mail.

I haven't tried

Could ya?

I have no place to.

Ok, when you said you have your own mail server, it confused people. So, you're using dialup to connect. Is it Earthlink?

Yes I use a dialer it is earthlink.

You're putting the 25 at the end, right?
    yes I am, even now that my servers back up it still doesn't work. I still can't send e-mail. I pinged the server on my comp and it came back at 100% loss of packets, I had a friend do a ping for me and it came backk 0% loss. I do have an extraordinarily crappy yet expensive computer, I paid a lot for it buts its been damaged pretty badly although it still functions certain things I have to do are turning my Graphics Acceleration off, underclock my processor, watch dvds in a small box I can't have full screen, I can't open up Nero with a disc in my dvd drive, it doesn't read boot disks, I can only connect to the internet one a boot every time after I connect I get a phantom connection, have the atmosphere get cold when that happens the processor over heats and the fan speeds up very fast and damages the mb and processor(I have no clue why, it defoes logic), I can't use any of the functions on my All In Wonder card wich was very expensive, those are just some of them theres plenty more. Theres nothing you can do to help so don't try I've posted everyone of those problems here that I thought could be fixible but nope, I'm just giving you an idea of the poor condition my computer is in.

13. Jeckler

Jeckler

Well, in that case, a full fdisk, format and reinstall is in order. The biggest problem with that is you can't read boot disks and it overheats. With all the other problems you're experiencing (I looked up your posts...wow!), your PC is pocessed. :) It might be less stressful to bite the bullet and replace it, although the initial cash outlay may seem excessive.
    The only other suggestion I have without reinstalling the whole OS is to uninstall DUN and all your networking compnents, including modem (only do that if you have the drivers to reinstall), and reinstall. You'll need the OS's CD or the .cab files on the HD.
    If you like, I can post what the ISP I worked for (Onemain, which was bought by Earthlink) called "The Final Fix".

14. Hrumachis334

Well things seem to be running fine for me I just can't do some things, theres no way in hell you're going to get me to do an fdisk. I don't really have the money to do get a new computer and I can do things fine as long as I don't do certain things. The main reason why my comp is messed up is because I think I bought a damaged mother board so when I get some money after my graphic design company is up I'm going to buy a new motherboard and get a Pentium, and get rid of this amd. So if you think that my I can't send e-mail is because of my comp then I would disagree, first I'm going to see about getting another e-mail program. If it still doesn't work then I'll agree with you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice