1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Pen, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pen

Pen Thread Starter

I run Windows XP Home Edition. Lately Outlook Express 6 is running slow.
    It is taking about 45 seconds to open up to Inbox and is then slow to open up each saved email which I sometimes need to refer back to.
    Also when I receive new emails it is slow to open each email and when I right click the drop down bar is also slow to hilight the appropriate item ie. Delete.
    Can anyone help?
    I have several hundred emails saved - could this be the problem? I usually keep them for work. If I have to store them elsewhere how do i do it?

Pen

2. Pen

Pen Thread Starter

3. mobo

mobo

There are various reasons for a slowing down of OE. Here are some ideas to start.

1. A corruption of one or more of the following files:

psbase.dll, pstorec.dll, pstorerc.dll and pstores.exe.

You need you extract fresh copies from your xp cdrom using System File Checker.

2. Corruption or removal of imagehlp.dll, especially if you use McAfee. Do a search of your system for imagehlp.dll and if it has been removed go to the McAfee web site tech support and follow the instructions to download a fresh copy. If you don't use McAfee, extract and replace the file anyways.

3. A missing or damaged imagehlp.dll has also been implicated in a slow forms problem.

Also, go into tool\options\maintenance and do a good clean out of old messages and/or headers and then do a compact. A little hint here, do one server at a time. A better job is done then.

Set your virus scanner to check programme files only, and turn off background compaction.

Microsoft has released a knowledgebase article about this problem:

Delayed Response When Editing Internet Explorer Forms and Outlook Express May Take a Long Time to Start

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q251/7/87.ASP

Finally, please have a look at this link:

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/problems/performance.htm

4. kath100

kath100

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice