1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rod Attewell, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rod Attewell

Rod Attewell Thread Starter

Each time I boot up my computer the OE6 DUN box comes up on the desk top. Also it sometimes comes on when I'm reading my e-mails sometimes. I can cancel each time, it but it's a nuisance.

I'm using Windows 98.

In tools/options/connection I've got the tick in 'Ask before switching dial-up connections' to stop it actually dialing up when I don't want to.

In Internet Explorer 6 that I'm using, in the Tools/Internet Options/Connections the only option I have selected is 'Always dial my default connection' & 'Perform System Security Check Before Dialing'

I read somewhere that it is possible to get a virus that causes your DUN to dial up a premium rate number, some type of scam?

I've checked that my DUN is dialing the correct number always, which it is.

Any help to stop the DUN box coming up all the time would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

What OS

Is it in startup folder or can you run msconfig to see what is launching it.

You may be hijacked.

3. Rod Attewell

MFDnSC

This is the first time I've used this forum, I gave myself an 'intermediate' because I can use all the programmes on my PC !

Can you give me more detail on where I look for the OS and how I run msconfig? Or am I out of my depth already !!

Cheers

Rod

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Need to know your OS, but at the run command type msconfig and look at the various tabs, especially startup.

If you see an entry for the DUN uncheck it.

I do suspect you've been hijacked and have other problems. Get HiJack This and post a log at the security forum.

5. Rod Attewell

I've checked, no entry says DUN

What's HiJack This?

6. Rod Attewell

I've just downloaded NoAdware and it's cured it.

Thanks for your help

Rod

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice