1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express acting weird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Have an new computer and am having to download much of the software that was on my old computer. Today I downloaded and replaced the IE 6 that was on my original Win XP-SP2 disk with IE 8 beta 2. It seems to work fine. BUT. . . subsequent to doing that, I noticed first that when I got messages in Outlook Express, the message did not appear in the lower pane. Now, OE will not open anything, and I get an error message that there's insufficient memory. I have 2GB of memory on an Intel board with a Core Duo E8400 CPU.

What's the problem?

2. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I found the uninstall file for IE 8 and removed it this morning when the computer again denied me access to Outlook Express after I opened IE 8 one time to look something up, and closed it. IE and OE share resources, but there is a serious bug in IE 8 that apparently causes it to not release the memory it used, leaving nothing for OE when you try to open it.

If you know of a workaround to this issue with IE 8 beta2, please let me and the readers of this thread know. If nobody posts a fix with a week, I strongly recommend that readers NOT DOWNLOAD IE 8 until MS issues the production version, and even then only after it has been reviewed by PC Mag, PC World, etc. and they do not encounter this 'memory hog' bug.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice