Outlook Express Address Book

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PMH62

When my old computer with Windows 98 finally died, I had almost everything backed up to a cd, everything except my e-mail address book. A friend of a friend did some magic and put the folders from the e-mail program on another cd. He said to look for the wab files for my addresses. Now I have a new computer, Windows XP. When I attempted to follow his instructions, all I can find is dbx files and it is unreadable. And of course the guy is long gone. Can anyone help me with this PLEASE. I am totally lost.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi PMH62

The .wab file is for your address book, it may have been exported as a .csv file. The .dbx files contain your messages which Outlook Express reads.

If you cannot find a .wab or .csv file then the address book was not backed up.

At what point are you at?

PMH62

Thanks for your reply. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find any .wab or .csv files. Can't quite figure that out because he knew that's all I needed.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Well, I guess at this point the Address Book is a moot point, sorry.

Were you able to Import your messages back into Outlook Express?

PMH62

Yes, I think you're right. The addresses are gone. I didn't get the messages but didn't really need them. I had grabbed the important ones before the crash. This time I'm a little smarter-all addresses are also on a hard copy. Thanks so much for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online