outlook express address book

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moby

I was trying out the export address book function and exported it. (ME just says export, no option to where). Well I found it in outlook express program files. I checked where it's supposed to live and it was there too so thought my export was just a copy and deleted it from OE program files.
Now my address book isn't a .wab file it's an unkown application, still works but will give me probs when backing up. On doing a search I haven't got a .wab address book any more. How do I get my address book to be a .wab (windows address book) file again?
Thanks

Moby

I tried that, there's no address book file option there anymore, nore can I browse for it.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
So all you did was an Export from OE, and then you deleted the Exported file??

By "where it lives", you mean
c:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book?

In that folder, what file names DO you have?

Where are you seeing the "unknown application"?

And, by "still works", you mean from within OE you can still see and use all of your contact names??

Moby

yes to all your questions.
The names of the files in application data, microsoft address book remain the same. I have ME, there are 2 files, default and default wab. These are the names that they were always called. When clicking properties they open with unknown application, the icons are not address book icons and I cannot find the address book program to reassociate the files too.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
In which case, the most effective way is to restore the registry as suggested.

Start > Run > Scanreg /Restore

Choose the date that you did the Export.

Note that if you have installed any programs since that date, you should uninstall them first, and reinstall them after the restore.

(if this will cause too much pain and agony, we'll scare up the required REG file to fix it)

Moby

I wouldn't mind trying to fix the individual problem rather than restoring everything as I think it has been nearly a week since I exported, I use the computer quite a lot, anything could have happened in the last week which I have already forgotten about (my memory fades with age:) ) but the computer works fine otherwise.

S

Slithy Tove

If you know how to work with associations this is the "normal" string/command for the WAB "Open" action....
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe" %1

Moby

I don't really know how to work with them, I just right click the file and look for the program. Haven't done any keying in of commands or such. How do I do it? Although I've done a search for wab.exe and I don't have it. It seems that exporting address books in windows ME is NOT the way to back them up. It's the way to export them alright though. So how do I get my wab.exe back? I have a oem restore disc so don't know if I can pinch the file back from the cd?
Thanks

S

Slithy Tove

If you can still see all of your names, etc. I don't understand how you do not have a wab.exe unless you have stepped on it by installing something else (like Outlook) which pulled in all your addresses before it stepped on the OE software.

When you are actually viewing all your names surely there is an export (or backup) function in that program which will allow you to save the information. I would simply download and install the latest IE/OE and restore the information once it is in and working.

Moby

I can only see the names from within outlook express, addresses. I will probably do as you say in the latter part of your post.
Thanks for your time.

S

Slithy Tove

Again, if you can see the names... they exist somewhere on your machine.

Moby

They exist in application data address book where they should exist but the file they exist in isn't a wab file it's a file that opens with an unkown application and address book is nowhere to be found to open it with. In outlook express they appear under contacts or by enetering the address book button.

S

Slithy Tove

If it is not a "wab" what is the extension ? If you double-click it and it opens try "help" then "about". What does that tell you ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts