1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express and aim

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bohemian, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bohemian

bohemian Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to disable aol instant messenger from starting up when i upon Outlook Express? I used to have msn messenger open with outlook, i guess it was a windows default, but i uninstalled it. now when outlook starts up, its really slow and takes a few minutes to start. I am running windows xp pro. does anyone have a solution? thanks.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

with your aim screen up, click on prefs.(lower right hand side) scroll down to sign on/off, and uncheck the box-start aim when windows starts. Don't know if this will help, but this is the screen you would go to edit your sign on/off prefrence.

3. PaveFE

PaveFE

I've tried and tried as well, I don't believe there is a cure. Yes you can stop it from loading when Windows loads, but if you're using OE, it always starts up and there is no way to turn it off. Gotta love Microsoft !!!
    :D

4. KMull

KMull

Under AIM's preferences, uncheck the box that says "Make AIM (or something similar) your defualt Messenger program (or something similar).

That will stop it from launching with OE

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Depending on version, its under Setup or Prefs, then Sign On/Off and uncheck "Make AIM My Default Instant Messenging Program"

6. PaveFE

PaveFE

My apologies, I thought you said MSN Msgr.

Hope you get what you need

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

You can also stop MSN from loading with OE.

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

You can also stop MSN from loading with OE.

9. pvdiamon

pvdiamon

I am having this same problem, but I can't find that check box to stop AOL IM from being the default messenger. I don't see it under set up or preferences. I have unchecked "start IM when Windows starts" and it still comes up, so I assume somewhere there is a default switch. WHERE in 5.1? thanks.

(edit)--I just fixed my problem: I had to download the newest version of AOL IM (still 5.1), and now it has the check box!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice