1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express and Hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CosmosGirl, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CosmosGirl

CosmosGirl Thread Starter

Is there a way to import Hotmail into Outlook Express? When I open Outlook and click on "import", Hotmail is not an option. Is there another way to access Hotmail via Outlook? :rolleyes:

2. sekirt

sekirt

3. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Okay, you need to setup a new mail account in your Outlook. Here's how you do it:

1> Open outlook express
    2> Click on tools at the top and then accounts in the drop down menu
    3> When the new window pops up, click Add and then mail
    4> Fill in whatver you want your display name to be - like John Murphy etc
    and when done click next
    5> In the next windows type in your email addy - [email protected]
    6> In the next window you will see "my incoming mail server is" Select "HTTP"
    Then under it you see "my incoming http server is" and select hotmail.
    Now click next again.
    7> In the next window under account name type in your hotmail address fully
    i.e "[email protected]" and under it type in your password for your hotmail
    account (dont type a newpassword!)Click next again
    8> In the next window click finish

Outlook will now download all your hotmail emails. Take note tho, it will also leave your emails in your hotmail account so you'll have to login to it to free up space.

Hope this helps!

*edit* sorry made a typo, meant to say outlook in the first line, not hotmail!!!

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Out of curiosity of sekirt's post i just set up my hotmail acc thru outlook and it works fine.

if it is the case that you cant get it to work you could try using eudora instead of outlook, just a thought

5. sekirt

sekirt

Maybe different rules outside of US?

sekirt

6. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

i guess thats possible? But why would Microsoft screw you guys and not us measly europeans?? I'd imagine its affects people who have set up Hotmail accounts since October last year - i've had mine for 3 years.

its unlikely they'd turn around and screw people that have been using hotmail through outlook since it was possible - and I'd imagine thats a lot of people.

let us know if it works for yo Cosmosgirl, i'd be interested

7. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Oh... Hotmail would do it.
    Yahoo did the same thing 2 years ago.
    Most people don't use Outlook to get Hotmail in any case. So they will get away with it with little complaints. Like Yahoo did... they want people to pay.
    I'm guessing... eventually Yahoo and Hotmail accounts will be paid... period.
    Of course... that might be the death of them.

With my IP I get 10 free e-mail accounts. So I'll cry little if my Hotmail won't be there.

A little interesting info... My Hotmail account is still downloading to my Outlook.
    I'll keep an eye on it an let you know when that changes.

8. CosmosGirl

Thank you much. Sorry, rebelmusic, I should've mentioned I had tried your suggestion prior to posting...was hoping there was some other way around it...No biggie, I guess, that I can't access everything from one point...was mainly trying it out for my parents...the simpler I can get things for them on their computer, the more peaceful my life is...I think they're having IncrediMail withdraws...I deleted it from their system, as well as mine..had been giving us problems...and heard it wasn't healthy for pc's anyway...thanks all....

9. Foamer

Foamer Guest

CosmosGirl...
    To make it easy on the fokes...
    Just set up a link on either the desktop or within IE browser to the hotmail sign on page.

10. CosmosGirl

Foamer...thanks...I did that earlier...but change doesn't come easy for them...unfortunately now, they have a virus or 2 or three...tho they do have McAfee...but I believe I'll be tackling that problem on one of my other previous posts...ciao

11. jaydee

jaydee

Hi, I read your posts with interest. Last Friday I opened OE as usual expecting to be able to access my Hotmail acc - as usual - then I watched my list of emails disappear before my eyes! along with the various folders e.g. outbox, sent items etc.. In their place was a different logo (msn) on a red background and just an 'inbox' in which there was an email supposedly from Hotmail about 'spam' saying click on this link it'll only take a few mins then you'll be able to use your account.......This link redirected me to the MSN/Hotmail log in page which in turn sent me round and around until I was dizzy!!! Now I have no access to my Hotmail account whatsoever.......What the hell is happening? Have I been hijacked.......I'm 'antivirused' up to the eyeballs - it was working ok before this, I have been using OE to access Hotmail for about 2years. CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME PLEEEEEASE? :eek:

12. Foamer

Foamer Guest

As the bulk of this thread said... Outlook and Hotmail don't go well together anymore unless you pay.
    So even accounts that used to work with Outlook will sooner or later not work. Mine still does... but I expect it to stop working soon.

Here is the link to get to the Hotmail sign in page:
    http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2

This will get you to your mail.

13. vonnymcd13

vonnymcd13

I am wondering how to set up my outlook email as well but connected to my internet provider email address is the one i want to use. I don't know what my POP3 email address is. What is that? I have always wondered and never had anyone to ask I am hoping I will finally get an answer to this most likely really easy question. I thank you in advance for your time.
    Vonny

14. Foamer

Foamer Guest

At the home page web sight there is usually a link to the POP3 (incomming) address.
    You will also need the SMTP (outgoing) address.

Who is your Internet provider?

15. jaydee

jaydee

HI THANKS FOR THE REPLY FOAMER, THE LINK DOES NOT WORK EITHER, I'LL JUST HAVE TO TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE................BYE BYE HOTMAIL! :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice