1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express and Hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jmccub, Jul 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmccub

jmccub Thread Starter

Hi

I have recently added my hotmail acccount to my version of OE (5.5) with no difficulty, using Tools - Accounts - Add

In trying to repeat this for a friend I found that although she also uses Win98, and the same versions of IE (5.0) and OE (5.5) as I do I was unable to succeed. The screen in OE which asked if you wished to retain the same internet connection did not appear on her system and if I selected HTTP and entered Hotmail it then says that this is not a valid server.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and how to get round the problem.

Thanks

Mccubs

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

I don't think HTTP is what they are looking for. Without looking didn't it ask for pop or smtp I think it is? These would be the setting for the mail, not HTTP. Set these right, I believe they get set as pop and make sure your password is correct and it should correct.

If you use outlook express when you click add mail account, it asks if you want hotmail and if you put a check there it should set it up for you.

3. jmccub

jmccub Thread Starter

Hi Rick

Thanks for your answer, I'll try it out ASAP and get back to you in a day or so.

John

4. rkselby98

rkselby98

Just reread the first post. IT is asking for the server, that wouldn't be Hotmail, that would be who she uses as an ISP. Sorry about that mistake.

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Hotmail does use HTTP. MSN uses POP. Found out the hard way.

6. jmccub

jmccub Thread Starter

Hi Folks

I solved the problem by making a note of all the parameters in my own system and entering them into my friend's as follows

Name :Her Name, E-mail address : Her Email address, Mail server is an HTTP server, Server URL : http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp Login Name : [email protected], Password : Her Hotmail Password:, Connection : Her ISP as defined in DUN.

[Edited by jmccub on 07-26-2001 at 03:04 AM]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/49064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice