1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook express "apply" button

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by minicooper, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minicooper

minicooper Thread Starter

I have recently changed ISP to talktalk.net. and I have set up outlook express to recieve my emails. I have gone thru' the internet wizard and set up my account on the "servers" box as my incoming mail (POP3) as mail.talktalk.net. The default setting was "127.0.0.1".

I then click on "apply" and I think fine & dandy. But no, within about an hour the default setting "127.0.0.1" has reared its ugly head again and thus my emails dont come thru'. What can I do to rectify this? Is it an ISP problem? Is it a Dell Computer problem? Or is it a Windows XP problem?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi minicooper

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

It is usually the anti-virus program changing the settings when E-mail scanning is enabled.

What anti-virus program are you using?

3. minicooper

Thanks for your reply. I am using Mcafee. Does this explain anything?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Do you have E-mail scanning enabled?
    If so, disable E-mail scanning, recheck your account settings. Then see if the account settings remain unchanged.

5. minicooper

Thanks for that EAFiedler. I have just done that an hour or so back and so far so good. To clarify, what I did was disabled the email scanner, altered my incoming mail settings and clicked the "apply" button. Then I renabled my email scanner. Was that correct?

Cheers for that.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

That should take care of it. (y)
    Remember to check for updates for your anti-virus program daily and scan attachments before opening them.

7. minicooper

I have jumped the gun. It is still not cured. I even tried disabling my spam filter, but to no availl. To make things worse I also now have another problem, I cant send emails. I get error messages "socket error : 11004" and "error number : 0x800CCC0D".

Anybody out there help me? I have a brand new (3 weeks old) Dell Dimension 3100 with Windows XP.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Can you post the exact error message please?
    If you shut down McAfee completely, are you able to send and receive e-mails?

9. minicooper

I tried disabling McAfee, but it made no difference.

The error message is :-

The host "SMTPmail.talktalk.net" could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account : "mail.talktalk.net", Server : "smtpmail.talktalk.net",
    protocol : SMTP, Port : 25, Secure (SSL) : no, Socket error : 11004,
    Error number : 0x80OCCC0D

I would appreciate any help.

cheers.

10. minicooper

I forgot to add that I obviously checked that the account information was correct.

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I know you said you have checked your account settings...please recheck your server settings against this link:
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/...=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.BBHELP.OUTEXPPC

Your error message indicates there is a problem with the server name, yours shows SMTPmail.talktalk.net. Remove the mail part from the name and see what happens, make sure you don't leave behind any spaces.

In Outlook Express:
    Tools > Accounts > (Account Name) > Properties > Servers tab
    change your server settings to the following:
    Incoming mail: mail.talktalk.net
    Outgoing mail: smtp.talktalk.net
    Apply, OK, Close to save and close.
    Send a test message to yourself to test.

If it works and you still have McAfee disabled, re-enable McAfee and try it again.
    Let us know what happens.

12. minicooper

I did check my settings and bingo, in my account name I had omitted a dot between first & surnames. So I set everything up and everything was working just great. That was about 8 hours ago. Now I have just checked my "incoming mail" setting and it has reverted back to 127.0.0.1 again. But at least my outgoing mail is OK, but in effect I am back to square one again.

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Is E-mail scanning in McAfee still disabled?

14. minicooper

Do you mean spam filter? This is disabled but again it hasnt cured the original problem of my incoming mail settings reverting back to that damned 127.0.0.1! Any other suggestions?
    Many thanks for your assistance with my problem

15. minicooper

Since my last post I have been into Mcafee and found the "email scanning box". I have just disabled it, but is it safe? Assuming this cures the problem does that mean that I have to permanantly have no "email scanning"?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice