1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express backup

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CarrollM, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with XP Media Center. Until two years ago I had a program called "e-backup" that backed up my Outlook Express mail files & Favorites and in case of a reboot would return them where they belonged. That program no longer works but I have heard there are others on the market. I Have tried to manually save and replace these files with no luck so would like to find a program. My son has tried to have me use a service like Yahoo etc so all of the mail data is on their server but I like the many things that Outlook can do and I am too old to change. It is a lot of work to reboot the computer but when it gets slow and sluggish I like to reboot. In that I guess I am from the old school, to clean up the computer by rebooting, takes time but gives you a faster computer and I have the time. Thanks for any help you can give me.

CarrollM

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Carroll,

When you say "reboot" you mean a reinstall of Windows and not just a restart?
    Here's a link to good instructions for doing a backup of OE.
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/simple.htm

One thing about restoring the mail files from a backup.
    If you don't need or want to Import the entire backup (all mail folders) you can (with OE closed) simply place the desired DBX files in the current Message Store folder, delete the current Folders.dbx and when OE starts the DBX files will reindex and display the mail for those DBX files.

Also, to check that you've created a valid backup, use a DBX reader DOWNLOAD HERE to check that your mail is indeed in the backed up DBX files.

Hope that helps.

3. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Throoper and Alicesam01. Sorry I was so long on reply but I had a senior moment. Both of you gave me the information I needed and I think I will be all set now. This computer is getting old but I hate to spend the time learning a new system so hope to keep using it for several more years as it does everything I need it to do. Thanks again and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both and your families.

Carrollm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice