outlook express backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sabledog

im getting a new pc... is there anyway to save my outlook express 6. setting... accounts, message rules... to floppy or cd...
thanks in advance
sd

I don't know about that but when you are ready & need help... you know where to come....... don't you?

I am not sure about the accounts or settings, you will probably need to reinstall those.
The address book is fairly simple
Open IE go to file, export, address book then choose "Text File Comma Seperated Values" Then follow the instructions. This will create a file with a .csv extension. Name whatever you want and save it. To reinstall you address book on the new machine do the same thing except import.

SeeYa

sabledog

i know how to save addresses... but didnt know how or if i could save the account setting and rules... i have several account and rules.... just looking to save some time... thanks
sd

This is how you go about this:

Address Book

Search your old computer for the file called filename.WAB (typically ADDRESS.WAB)
Copy this file.

Internet Settings

Open Outlook Express
Tools > Accounts > Mail
Highlight the account you want
Click Export and then save it to a known location

You may also use this step if you want to save (export) your newsgroups setting.

Search your computer for inbox.dbx Make a note of the location of this file. Mine looks something like this on a Windows 2000 Machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9D4CBA77-009F-4B70-B248-36908BE6037F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you activated the multiple users in Outlook, you should have one Hex folder for each user. You have to copy the whole folder and all the files in it.

Onto the new machine...

Address Book

Search your old computer for the file called filename.WAB and replace it with the one that you backed-up from the old machine.

Internet Settings

Open Outlook Express, but click cancel if it asks you to make an account.
Click Tools > Accounts > Mail > Import...
Look for the file you exported from above

Same step with Newsgroups

Close Outlook Express

Search your computer for inbox.dbx Make a note of the location of this file.
Replace the contents of the folder with the ones you backed-up.
Re-open Outlook Express and your messages should be there!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online