1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express: Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackbmc, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

I have begun to have problems with Outlook Express (been lucky for years, I guess). I have Windows XP SP2. I have two identities in OE. The primary one often goes blank in all sections of the page (Inbox, list of e-mails, summary at bottom, etc.) when I switch from from one folder to another i.e.Inbox to Send or even "Deleted" folders...or EZ Armour's Anti-Spam folder. On the secondary identity, if I click on anything at anytime that happens. In the first I have to 'end task' to get out. In the secondary one, NOTHING gets me back in unless I do a System Restore in which case it reverts to the primary OE account, understandably.

Questions:

1) Is OE a part of Windows XP (in that it came with my computer two years ago) OR is it a part of Microsoft Office (of which OUTLOOK is, I know).
    2) I do not have a CD etc. but rather the recovery disk is a part of the hard drive. Can I use a specific portion of THAT to re-install OE? I don't mind losing what I have in OE, since I have copied the critical e-mails.
    3) Does Microsoft provide any utility for repairing OE and/or can I just delete OE and download a new one for Microsoft? I have checked their website and don't find any specifics about that.

Thanks to anyone who will take a minute or so to respond. I am (as if it weren't obvious) a novice. But I have always found excellent help from knowledgeable people on this site.

Thanks,

JackbMc

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

oe is part of windows.

do you have 2 identities because you want them?

are they setup the same in tools/accounts?

3. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I have two identities since one is the mailbox for my wife and other for me. They are set up the same and have worked fine for a year and a half. Apparently, something has corrupted one of the files (I have current anti-virus sofware that updates twice a day). I just finished reading the Microsoft section on repairing and/or replacing OE and IE....(Must do both apparently) and for a novice it is rather daunting i.e the warnings about the registry. I see several tools available for sell on their website that repairs OE. I may be better off to spend the $49 for one of those. Any other suggestions.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

when oe opens, do you make a selection of which account to open?

are they duplcates of each other?

i wouldn't spend the $49. :cool:

5. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

I have it set to automatically open to MY identity. that works fine. However, when I open the INBOX file, or any other, it USUALLY turns white on each of the four quandrants of the OE page. If it doesn't do it immediately, it will after a short time...particularly after moving from one folder to another. For example, if it opens ok, and I start reading e-mails...after reading 2-3 if all goes blank after I click on the next one. Sometimes, if I click on the Delete folder it will go blank...or, if it doens't go blank then, it may do so when I click on "empty the delete folder" etc. No ONE pattern of activity will trigger it...but ultimately, it quits. Very, aggrevating. Just started two days ago...and with no change (than I am aware of) like deleting programs or adding software.

ANY thoughts would be appreciated.

Jack

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

rather than opening in auto mode to your account, make a selection when oe opens of selecting which account to open.

are these duplicate accounts with the same address book?

7. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

That doesn't seem to make much difference i.e. opening in auto ode vs choosing an identity. I guess that is because the problem occurrs in both identities.

Within Outlook Express, these are totally independent mailboxes...we do not share address books etc. While they both obviously use the underlying OE program, they are separate in every other way, including password etc. This is apparently different than OUTLOOK. I have OUTLOOK within Word (Microsoft Office) so maybe I should just switch to that...except that I don't think there is the option for multiple identities. Outlook Express allows for 4 or 5 as I recall.

Jack

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

do you have separate logins when the computer gets to the desktop or just separate oe accounts?

i use office outlook/2000pro and there are no options for multiple identities, not sure if it changed on the later versions.

at work i can't get into outlook unless i'm logged in on the workstation.

9. BadDracula

BadDracula

Is it too late for me to be in this thread ? I currently use OE with my Comcast how can I also use it with my AOL? I hate having to log in for mail 2 times and this would be very convienent. t y

10. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

As you can tell from my posts, I am probably not the one to ask, BadDracula. We are actually talking about two different things. I personally don't know of a way to use AOL and Outlook Express. At best, you could have the AOL mail forwarded to your Outlook Express address assuming that is separate from your Comcast address.

11. jackbmc

jackbmc Thread Starter

BearOne2:

I assumed, by the questions you were asking, that you probably used Outlook and not Outlook Express. I think, but am not certain at all,that Outlook is more for an office setting and Outlook Express is more for home use...hence, the multiple identities within OE. Perhaps I should have made it clearer..by multiple identities I simply mean two or more e-mail addresses provided, of course, they are all configured within the same ISP...mine are.

I am at a loss to know what to do with OE. I can use Outlook (I think) for the one mail account I use the most, and have the other forwarded to it,but that defeats the purpose.

All I want to do is fix OE so I may have to put out the money for one of those fixes listed not only on the Microsoft page, but also on the TechGuys pages.

I am still open to ANY suggestions for resolving the problem. I am hesitant to re-install OE because of all the possible implications on the registry...

I appreciate your help. Any other suggestions from you or anyone, I am VERY open to doing.

Thanks,

Jack

12. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i like the auto preview in outlook but there's a little bit of a delay before it gets email when 1st opened where oe does the recieve right away.

i wouldn't pay anything to ms and wouldn't be too concearned about the registry but would export both address books/emails you want/need to floppies before removing/reboot/reinstalling oe or you could just use outlook.

with roadrunner i have the basic +4 separate emails, that can be cofigured [email protected] but oe has to be configured for each one separately.

ez armor sounds like you have rr too.

13. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Preview mode is a dangerous thing to have enabled as it can run scripts that are infectious

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

really. i use it thinking it was just a preview, not the same as the preview pane which i know is hazardous.
    thanks

15. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi jackbmc

If you disable EZ Armour's Anti-Spam, does it make a difference when you open Outlook Express?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice