1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Corrupted

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by margie821, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

How do I fix the problems I'm having with Outlook Express. I believe some of my folders are corrupted, example: when I try and delete messages it doesn't show up as deleted unless they are messages I haven't read. If I've read them and then click delete it doesn't increase the number that shows I deleted. I know one folder with my name on it was corrupted so I made a new folder with a different title and made a new rule for messages to go into it. When I double click to open my messages it's very slow and sloggish to open them. That's a few of the problems I've notices.

If I reinstalled Window's XP would it fix the problem maybe? I don't know anything about the Registry and do not feel confident messing around with it so I wondered if there was something a lay person/not too computer savy could do to fix my Outlook Express. I tried using Outlook but don't like how confusing it is and everything they add into the address book which isn't as easy to navigate as Outlook Express.

Any helpful suggesions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those of you who are certainly more computer literate than I am! :) Margie

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi margie821

Outlook Express only shows the number of Unread messages in the folder.
    If you have a total of 100 messages and 70 have been read the folder will only show a count of 30.

If all the messages in the folder have been read then no count will show.

Check this setting in Outlook Express:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
    if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background
    this is a default setting that can cause corruption in your .dbx files.

If you have more than one Identity, check each Identity to ensure this process has been disabled.

Manually compact your messages:

Outlook Express is probably due for some maintenance.
    Close all programs.
    Open Outlook Express
    File > Work Offline
    Click on the Local Folders folder
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders
    Walk away from the computer until this process is complete.
    Never start this process if the possibility of a power outage is imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.

Should the compaction process ever be interrupted, restart it before accessing any folders and allow it to finish.

Manually compact once a month, more often if you delete masses of messages frequently.

Keep your Inbox empty, move messages you want to keep to another folder of your own creation in Outlook Express.

After performing the above steps let us know if it has made a difference or not.

3. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for your assistance. I compacted all folders but I'm not sure it did the trick as it still doesn't show when I deleted an email that I've opened, then clicked delete on delete folder like it use to. If I delete an email that I haven't opened then it will show an increase number beside the delete folder on the left pane showing that I deleted that message. Hope I'm not making this too confusing by way of how I'm explaining it.
    Margie

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It sounds like it is working properly.

Outlook Express only shows the number of Unread messages in the folders.
    If you have a total of 100 messages and 70 have been read, the folder will only show a count of 30.

If all the messages in the folder (this includes the Deleted Items folder) have been read then no count will show.

If I am misunderstanding, let me know.

5. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, I realize on the folders it only shows the number of the email's not read. What maybe I'm confused about is the delete folder; I thought it showed all email's one deleted. If I delete a message I haven't read, it will show a number or increase the number that show deleted. If I delete a message I have read, it doesn't increase the number or if I click on the delete folder it doesn't show that I deleted it. Hopefully I've explained this better. Sorry for the confusion. I do understand on the other folders it only shows the number that have not been read and once they have the number decreases or doesn't show a number at all if there was only 1 unread message and I read it.
    Margie

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

The Deleted Items folder behaves just like the other folders.

Go into the Deleted Items folder, select all the messages and mark them as Unread.
    The count will then show for the Deleted Items folder.

Yes, you will need to access the Deleted Items folder periodically to see if it needs to be emptied.
    You could configure Outlook Express to empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting.
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
    place a checkmark in Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder upon exit

I have fourteen messages in the Deleted Items folder.
    One of them is marked Unread.
    The Deleted Items count is One.

Attached Files:

7. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thank you EAFIEDLER, I guess I remember incorrectly and thought it showed all email's I deleted not just the one's I hadn't read.

I guess then my Outlook Express isn't corrupted then but it just doesn't work as it use to. It's very sluggish and it takes a while when I double-click an email for it to open. I lost all my email's in my folder that I had Margie's Mail somewhere, so I deleted the folder and made a new folder called My Mail and made a rule similar to what I had in Margie's Mail to have certain mail go into it.

I did download DBXpress to try and recover what I can't find but being the novice computer person I am, I haven't figured out how to use it!

Thanks for all your help. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Would there be a reason why it's so sluggish, especially when I try and open an email which seems to take forever to open.
    Margie

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Is your Inbox empty?
    You have compacted your messages?

Do you use Newsgroups?

and yes, I do get a notification when you post here, so the email is not necessary, just your personal touch, which is fine ;)

9. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

No my Inbox is not empty. It has quite a few email's in it.

Yes, I compacted them as your prior response to this thread suggested so I course I listened and did it! ;)

No, I don't use Newsgroups, wouldn't have the time if I wanted to!

Margie

10. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

One more question! Why don't all email's I delete whether I read them or not show up when I click on the Delete Folder to empty? They only show the email's I haven't read and deleted, they don't show the email's that I read and deleted.

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Keep your Inbox empty, move messages you want to keep to another folder of your own creation in Outlook Express.

After moving your messages out of the Inbox, close Outlook Express and reopen a minute later.

Let me know if you see a difference or not.

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

So when you are in the Deleted Items folder you cannot actually see the messages themselves?
    This has nothing to do with the count?

See my picture above where it shows the Views window.
    Show all messages is what I have selected.
    View > Current View > Show all messages
    should show you ALL messages whether read or unread.

Your View Setting may be set to Hide Read Messages.

With my Views bar enabled, all I have to do is click on the dropdown arrow to select a different view.
    View > Layout, place a checkmark in Views Bar

13. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply! I think I'll have to move all the email's from my Inbox to another folder tomorrow as it would take me quite a while as I have quite a cache there! If I tried to do them all now I'd never get up for work in the morning!!

I'll let you know as soon as I've done as you suggested whether it works.

I'll also try the view's you suggested. If it is set to hide all read messages I don't know how that happened as I never changed anything.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch. :)

Margie

14. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

You were correct about the view....The setting was set to Hide Read Messages! I changed it. On the View>Layout I did have a checkmark in Views Bar!

I'm getting there with all your help!! Hopefully tomorrow when I get through work I'll have a chance to move all the "Inbox" email's. I don't want to tell you how many I have in there!! :)

Many thanks for all your help. I'll be in touch to let you know how I make out.
    Margie

15. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

No wonder why Outlook Express is groaning when you open it! ;)

After you move your messages, do a manual compaction again.

Outlook Express, will probably feel like a new program.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice