Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook Express could not be started

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  throoper 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I am completely computer illiterate and this week seem to have attracted a number of problems! Lucky me!

Firstly I managed to catch the av360 virus which I think I have successfully removed (although it still shows in the startup section when you run MSCONFIG but it is unchecked?)

Now it seems my outlook express is playing up. When trying to open it I receive the following message :

Outlook express could not be started. The application was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk full

I then click ok and this message appears :

Outlook express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook express may not be installed correctly.

I have looked through a few forums on here and have checked that my *.dbx files are all set at not read only, but it still does not open. I have also changed folders.dbx to folders.old and nothing...

I really don't know what to do now and whether something I did when trying to remove the virus has caused this...

Any help will be grateful received (in a form that is easy to understand please...! :) )

Thanks!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Karbo / Throoper

Have tried the sfc / scannow and nothing happened...

Throoper - really sorry, am looking at the other thread and you say about getting into the message store and copying / pasting to a new folder on the desktop... Huh? How do I find the message store without opening OE?

Really sorry, I tend to stay away from computers as they frighten me!!

;)

Tweenie

#5 ·
Hi again,

Think I found the message store and have done what you suggested but it seems now the dbx folders are in both the new folder and the place they were originally? Is that right?

Either way, OE still does not open and is still showing me the same message

:(

Tweenie

#6 ·
Hi Tweenie,

No. Sounds like you copied instead of cut.
You need to empty the Message Store folder to force OE to create all new DBX files.
Moving the DBX files will allow you to Import from the new folder to restore your mail once you get OE running.

Your Message Store should be located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{random numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

T. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.