Outlook Express Data files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DudleyDoRite

I'm trying to import old MSOE mail to new OUtlook program. Could someone please tell me where MSOE stores the data files? I've found a folder c:/windows/application data/microsoft/outlook express/ but the folder was empty. Thanks in advance

That depends on your version of Windows and where OE is setup to store the files.

Go into OE, click tools > options > maintenance > store folder and it will display the full path to your data files.

DudleyDoRite

The MSOE files were in windows 98SE. I've upgraded to windows XP professional. Upgrade of the OS was not allowed, so I had to do a fresh install, now trying to get the old email. It seems to me that when I tried to upgrade win98se, win XP deleted all my MSOE data files. Since then, I've copied the entire drive to another HD, then repartitioned the drive to accomodate XP, 10G for OS, and 30G for data. In the second HD, I expected the MSOE data files to be there, but they are not. Does XP do stuff like this? I saw a warning that the My Documents folder could be deleted. The Data files are quite important, I know, I know, I shoulda backed them up.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi DudleyDoRite

Outlook Express uses .dbx files.
Searching through the files you have backed up, look for .dbx files.
Let us know if you find anything.

You may need to enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
For Windows XP:
  • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
    Remove the check marks for:
    Hide Extensions for known file types
    Apply, OK to save and close.

For Windows 98:
  • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
    View > Folder Options > View tab,
    Verify that Show hidden files and folders is selected.
    Apply, OK to save and close.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online