Outlook Express does not show html images suddenly, AND new IE7 does not work anymore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laurey-Ann

I know I posted this before, but unfortunately got no replies - I thought the title might be misleading so here it is again:
Somehow, IE stopped working - giving error of 'No connection, website cannot be found'... yet Mozilla works fine. This would be no real stress as I can get used to only working with Mozilla which I prefer of course. BUT, in Outlook Express (which I rely on for everything in my business) now suddenly, any html images no longer show up in the email preview pane. (I need this for Newsletters, construction, amongst other things - emails that call up the images from the internet). Normal graphics inserted into text come up fine.
This all seems to revolve around the latest upgrade to IE7 - all more or less simultaneous.
I tried uninstalling IE7 - but IE6 had the same problem and so did OE. I have reinstalled IE7.
I have checked all settings that I know about. (I had made no changes anyway, it just suddenly stopped showing the images in the emails).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In outlook express, to to "Tools", "Options", "Security", make sure that "Block images and other external content in HTML email", is UNchecked. Then click apply, ok and then close out outlook express and reload. You should then be able to view HTML emails in outlook express.

Laurey-Ann

Thank you - but that was the first setting I checked - no change - still unchecked..:(

Laurey-Ann

To Pmichelle
No I still have not figured it out - please let me know if you gain any ground, it is defying solving! (PS your email messaging is set not to receive emails)

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Hi Laurey-Ann,
Try doing a System Restore to a point before the problem started.
T.:)

Laurey-Ann

Hi Throoper - that sounds so 'scary' never having had experience with it. Is it easy enough for a semi competent computer operator? How much data gets lost in the process?

throoper

Hi Laurey-Ann,
System Restore isn't a big deal. Mostly what it does is reset the System State to what it was on the date you pick. If you installed any new programs or hardware after that date they may have to be redone as the Registry entries for them will be changed. All your personal stuff (Documents, pictures, personal settings, etc) will be unaffected.
Click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and follow the instructions. Let us know how it works out.
T.:)

Laurey-Ann

Hello again Throoper!
Your restore idea WORKED!!!
I am sure it all started when I began by updating to IE7. I had to restore three times before I got to BEFORE the problem started. It is now back to normal and I even got the Microsoft website pop up to remind me to upgrade to IE7 - which of course I will never do! I have not downloaded any new security patches either as I am now a bit wary!
But thank you for your suggestion - I was managing okay, but then discovered my Front Page would not work if IE was not working!! So it got pretty serious and I just had to try the 'restore'.
I hope other people can read this and solve their problem.
Best regards
LA:D :D :D :D :D

throoper

(y) If things are working the way you want now, go back into the System Restore utility and create a new Restore Point. If any problems occur after installing any new programs or updates, you'll have a good Restore Point to go back to. It's good to do that once in a while rather than rely on the System checkpoints created by Windows.
T.

Laurey-Ann

I have just done it - what a great system! I will do it from now on after any change I deliberately make too. I love it when I learn things like this from far cleverer people such as you. Hope all is well.
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online