1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express doesn't work

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by crsaj, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Although it is not my primary email my printer/scanner defaults to Outlook when I scan to email. However, I can not send/receive through Outlook. Do I need to reconfigure Outlook and if so, how do I do that?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi crsaj

This is Outlook Express and not Microsoft Outlook, part of the Microsoft Office suite?

What happens when you attempt to send messages using Outlook Express?
    Your e-mail account server settings are correctly entered in Outlook Express?
    Are you receiving any error messages? If so, please post the entire error message in your reply.

Do you want Outlook Express to be set as your default e-mail client?
    What program is your current e-mail client?
    What operating system are you using?

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Yes, I'm using Outlet Express for scanning to email. When I attempt to send a message from Outlook Express I now get a message saying I have no email configured. My operating system is Windows XP and I use Yahoo for brousing and email. I do not want Outlook Express to be my default email client. I would like to stick with Yahoo. To set up Outlook Express I need some configuration setting I don't know much about. (ex. Incoming mail Pop 3, etc. and Outgoing mail (SMTP) server. Where do I get this information?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Ok, I don't wamt to mess up my yahoo email so I need to keep this as my default email.. But I do need to use Outlook for when I scan to email with my printer (software). The HP printer only uses Outlook.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't use Outlook or Outlook Express with a free Yahoo account.

7. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

That is strange since I was able to use both when using my laptop. Since my laptop crashed I've been using my daughters desktop but Outlook is not configured on it. I think I need more help here.

8. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I followed the instructions as given but now receive an error message that my password has been rejected. I changed both POP3 and SMTP, etc. Need more help. Thanks

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

According to Yahoo, free accounts cannot be used with a local client such as Outlook or Outlook Express. Your password is being rejected because you don't have a valid account on Yahoo's POP or SMTP servers.

10. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Ok, now what? How do I get a valid account on Yahoo's POP or SMTP servers? I'm really lost about this. I have email, I have an account that I'm using now with AT&T Yahoo.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the account is an @yahoo.com address, you have to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus. It's a paid service.

12. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

It looks like I've reached a dead end on this issue. Can't see paying for something that I already have for free. Doesn't make sense. Still wondering why it worked on my laptop. Configurations were all the same. Thanks for all your help though.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice