1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express E-Mail very slow in booting up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cheryl, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I am running XP-Home, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express for e-mail program. When I first got the laptop - Dell Inspiron 2500 about a year ago - when I went into Outlook Express it came up very quickly and when I clicked on "create mail" it also came up quickly. I am using Earthlink dial up for connection.

What would cause this slow down? I just have McAfee virus scanner. The only other thing on the lower task bar is Webshots, and Panic-ware.

What can I do to get Outlook Express to come up quickly the way it use to?:confused:

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Hi

What is panic ware and who makes it?

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

www.panicware.com

Pop-up stopper (which works GREAT).... I think Lavasoft makes it.

4. bassetman

I guess I would try doing Ctrl + Alt + Del and shutdown everything you don't need including that and see if it loads more quickly.

If it does, then try restarting it and see if it's slow again.

BTW have you disabled find fast in your start up list by chance? THat would make overall system faster, but launching OE would be slower.

John

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I don't have "find fast" in my start up menu....

6. bassetman

Ok, I just noticed you have XP, I don't know much about that OS. :(

7. suzi

suzi

Cheryl, do you have a lot of saved messages in your inbox or other folders? If you do, that can make it boot up slowly.

8. Del

Del

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I do not have anything stored in "sent" - "deleted", etc.

I also checked and the site that was suggested to me dealt with Windows 98 and millenium. I have XP-Home.

10. Looboo

Looboo

Just out of curiosity, are you using MSN or Windows Messenger?
    Because if you are, and they both are installed. that will definitely have an effect on O.E.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I do have MSN Instant Messenger, but generally it is turned off when I go into Outlook Express. My ISP is Earthlink..... I noticed that when I am in Outlook Express and click on "create mail" - it also takes some time for a blank document to pop up so I can create an e-mail message.

12. dmurfitt

dmurfitt

try archiving your old emails. Outlook is probably having trouble loading all the emails from the PST.

Dan

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Dan - how do I archive the old e-mails? I thought that once you deleted e-mails, they were gone forever.....

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

Cheryl
    Actually I believe Dan is speaking of Outlook and not Outlook Express. You can however Archive E-mails in OE and this is how to do it.
    1) Create a folder in "My Documents" folder and lets call it "Old E-Mails". You can call it what you wish.

2) Now create sub-folders within that folder that is representative of your folder structure in OE.
    Note: Only create sub-folders for placement of E-mails you wish to archive.
    Example:
    Old E-mails folder
    . Sues E-Mails
    . Jane's Emails
    . Misc
    .. Recipes
    .. Jokes
    .. Other
    You get the idea..... There is no reason to create Inbox, Sent, Deleted, and so on.

3) After you have the folder structure created for stores then Open OE and Click View up top and deselect Contacts and Show Preview pane, then Apply then OK. This is done to make it easy to work through the archive.

4) Now Shrink the Right side of OE window to left and Open "My Documents folder to Old-Mails Folder. Shrink that folder from left to right.
    Note: What you have now is OE on left side and My Docs on right.
    See Attached Pic.

5) All you have to do now is open respective folders in OE and its Twin in My Docs and drag E-Mails from OE to Open folder in My Docs.

6) After all E-mails are Transferred too My Docs they can be Deleted from OE.

7) Set My Docs folder back to normal size and close and reset OE back to normal size and reset Layout as you like it and that is it.

One nice thing about archiving is you will not lose your E-Mails if OE crashes and you will keep the speed you had originally in OE by keeping it trim. The process may look complicated but it actually is quite easy once you have done it.

Dave

Attached Files:

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Hi Davey: Long time !

I keep my OE very lean - and in fact have about 4-5 e-mails stored in the entire program at one time. Sometimes a few more. So it can't be that this is the cause of my slow processing.

You are right though - it is so much easier just to drag and drop between My documents and OE, especially if you have a lot of mail.

Thanks for your advice though!:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice