1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gregsgirl60, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregsgirl60

gregsgirl60 Thread Starter

My mail program was working fine and then suddenly I received and error message when I tried to open a new e-mail:

"The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured. Please reinstall."

How could this happen? I was in my mail box receiving and sending messages and then Caput? I also tried my Outlook program and got the same message. So I went and downloaded Internet Explorer 6 again, hoping to resolve this problem but it didn't work. Then I did a cold boot several times with my McAfee anti-virus disc in the CD-Rom thinking that a virus could have snuck in? But I am clean? When I did a quick check on a search engine it said something about my WAB files might have been damaged? This is why I reinstalled IE 6.
    Can you help me?
    Thank You
    Susan

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reinstalling will not always replace damaged files. If the file exists, it usually will not get overwritten during a reinstall.

There are instructions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239135

They are for earlier versions of Windows, but should still be OK.

The locations for Win 98 SE are the same as XP, just checked my WAB32.dll.

Good luck!

3. gregsgirl60

gregsgirl60 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response. Well the next day after re-installing my IE 6 my Outlook Express works again...but my Address Box is EMPTY!
    Take Care, Susan

4. Miz

Miz

Do a search of the harddrive (Start>Search) for "*.wab" (without the quotes, with the asterisk and dot). There should be more than one. (Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is checked in Tools>Folder Options>View tab)

Once found, leave the search window open so you can refer back to it, then open OE. Go to File>Import>Address Book which will open a window allowing you to browse to the location of the .wab files you found.

Refer back to the Search window for the location of the largest .wab file listed, which is probably the one you want, then back in OE, browse to that .wab file and tell OE to import it.

If that didn't bring back your addresses, try importing each .wab file until you find the right one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice