1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Express Error Messages

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tile guy, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tile guy

tile guy Thread Starter

Can someone help me with the following error message? It happens when I try to open outlook express. I am using windows 98 se. Thank you so much.

The identity login could not be started. Some Companents are either missing or incorrectly configured.

Outlook Express could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure your disk is not full or that you are out of memory. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance. (0X80040154)

Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Sounds like Outlook is messed up. O.K., unlike Internet Explorer, Outlook doesn't have a "repair" feature that I know of. So, you can try this. Go to Add/Remove programs and then to "Windows Components" tab. Scroll down to Outlook Express and uncheck it. Then press apply, O.K. I would then reboot. Go back to where you just were and recheck Outlook Express and press apply,O.K. Windows will ask you for your cd so have it ready. Or if you have Cab files on your disk you can navigate to the folder containing the Cab files using "Browse". Either way when it's done it will have reinstalled Outlook and any files that may have been corrupted or missing in the process.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13

sorry to stick my nose in, but won't that cause all the mail folders and address book entries to be lost? if that is a concern (it would be for me) i would move them to a different directory before uninstalling. then if you get it working you can import them.

[ they should be in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities ]

4. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Your absolutely correct Kimmer, perhaps my neglecting to mention that fact is simply a reflection of my own empty address book.:(

5. tile guy

tile guy Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, I have windows 98 se, when I go to add/remove programs, I do not have a windows components tab, I have:

Install/Uninstall, Windows setup, and Start up disk tabs only.

6. kimmer13

kimmer13

OK, on the Install/Uninstall list, scroll down and find Microsoft Outlook Express. Then click on add/remove. Follow the prompts to uninstall.

7. tile guy

tile guy Thread Starter

Thanks Kimmer13, once I uninstall, how do I reinstall? And do I lose everything?

8. kimmer13

kimmer13

To reinstall you need to repair or reinstall IE. (Outlook Express is part of it) I would try repair first. (Back in Add/Remove, this time locate Internet Explorer 6.1, click on Add/Remove, then choose "Repair" and follow the prompts.) Then run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest service packs and patches for OE.

As far as losing stuff, see my earlier post in this thread. You need to locate your Identities directory and copy them somewhere (your desktop, a disk, etc.) Once OE is up and running again you can use your copy to import the files.

Let me (or someone here) know if I'm not making sense - I've been up wayyy toooooo lonnngggg today!!!

9. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Actually it's the windows setup tab then,sorry haven't used win98 in a bit. It's the place where you add or remove stuff like windows desktop themes or system tools.etc. But, follow kimmers' advice first and see if it works out for ya.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice