Outlook Express Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lschul

Well I did something wrong, I think in trying to find compacted folders I messed something up. Every time I open Outlook Express I get the following message. "Error deleting file or folder" "Cannot delete ntuser.dat: there has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use. I did a scan disk, etc but still no resolution, any ideas on how to get rid of this error? Once I hit OK OE works just fine, I just want the error to be corrected. Thanks

Del

What Operating System are you running?
In OE, do you have more then one identity?
Does this just happen with one identity?
If so, if you remove that identity in Outlook Express and readd it, should fix your problem.

lschul

I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I located the file in windows explorer under documents and settings, it is there. But for some reason whenever I open Outlook Express, it gives me the error message, I don't know if I should double click it or not???

lschul

I am the only identity on this computer as far as I can tell, but I am not sure how to delete as you have suggested???

lschul

I have office installed but I am not running XP which is what is at the top of this link.

lschul

Hi Del, nothing in the trash. I am checking out your latest link, the one you sent earlier didn't apply, the my computer properties must be different in XP

Del

Another idea? Try IE, Tools > Internet Options.
Go to the Programs tab and see what is set as email client, if Outlook change it to OE.
A long shot, but nothing to lose by doing it.

lschul

It was still set to OE. I did log off my account befroe shutting down and it made no difference.

lschul

Interesting, I did a search for that file and don't have it! Still have the error message though.

Del

OK, put your mouse cursor over the Start button and right click, then click on explore. When it opens, click on Tools and Folder options. Then click the view tab. Move the dot from Do not show hidden files to Show hidden files and folders, also uncheck Hide file extensions for known file type.
Click ok, now go to Start > Search files or folders, look for deleted items and where it says look in, select C: local disk.
Click Search now and you should see one or more deleted items.dbx; right click on them and delete them. When you reopen OE, it will create a new deleted items folder.
If that doesn't work, I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online