1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook express Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kwagner_51, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwagner_51

kwagner_51 Thread Starter

I am running IE 6

I can get online fine but when I click send/receive messages I get this error:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Mail', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005

I was on the phone with ATT tech support last night and they led me to knowledgebase for this error. I did exactly what it said....NOTHING.

Kept looking and found where I was supposed to look for .mbx and rename .mbx old. I did that... all my inbox messages are gone. I closed Email and reopened. I am still getting the error message.

When I search for .mbx in hidden files/folders there is no file.

I went back to a sys restore to Wednesday, that also didn't work.

Is there any way to repair the inbox?

Thanks!!

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

delete inbox.dbx, it will recreate itself.

you're using webmail but accessing thru oe.

is there a "repair" under one of the dropdown toolbar menus, try it.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Since you are using Yahoo mail I would suggest contacting Yahoo tech support they might be having some server problems and if not more than likely have a fix for this problem. Also I would go thru their setup FAQ's and check this against the settings in your OE 6.

4. kwagner_51

I found the inbox.dbx It is only 75 kb Do I just rt click and choose delete or ?? Then what do I do?

Thanks!!

5. kwagner_51

I was on the phone with AT&T/Yahoo last night for over an hr. They tried having me delete my account. Then they gave me the 'backdoor' to get to my email through yahoo. They insisted that it is an XP problem and are refusing to help.
    I absoulutely HATE web base email.

I checked all the settings in OE against theirs. The POP3 #s are right on the money as are the #s for smpt. [Their code numbers for security]

Thanks!!

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

They are refusing to help you and they say it is becasue it is a windows xp problem. I used to do tech support for a rather large ISP and if they caught any of the techs giving that excuse the tech would be fired right on the spot. This is atually lousey tech support and I would change my provider. I will do some research into this and see what I can come up with.

Would you please post as may of the windows specs for your operating system include make and model of computer, PS and version with service pack installed.

7. kwagner_51

Windows XP Pro SP2,
    Custom built PC no make or model
    IE 6
    HDD 80 G
    Memory 512

The email connects to server, authorizes and then gives the error

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Mail', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005

The bar above the message shows green meaning that it tried to download the messages but was stopped by this error.

Thanks!!

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

9. kwagner_51

This is weird!!

I decided to see if I could get Outlook 2000 to work. I had it import everything from Outlook Express. Imagine my surprise when it downloaded ALL my emails and my address book. It did get the same error but was able to overcome it.

Get this Outlook Express also works!!

Now some more questions:

How do I get back to Outlook Express?

I don't know if I set OutLook as my default email client.

If I did set OutLook as my default client how do I switch it back to OutLook Express?

Thanks!!!

10. kwagner_51

I did that earlier today. Didn't work.

Now In light of the email a just wrote. I tried to send an email to myself from OLE. I got the same error again.

I went to Outlook got one email from you and the one I tried to send from OLE caused the same error that has been happening all day!

<sigh> Back to the drawing board!!

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In Outlook Express goto tools then general tab and look at the bottom of page.

What you did to clear the problem is clear out the corrupt item in outlook express. Read the article I sent you in my last post.

12. kwagner_51

I DID read the article you sent. I did everything it said to do last night and today. It DID NOT work. I did it about 4 times. Maybe when I exported everything to OutLook it cleared that d***** error.

I don't know what worked or what I did to fix it, but as of this moment it is working. I was able to send myself an email and it worked.

It could very well be that AT&T finally fixed the problem. That would be my guess. That it wasn't me at all. It was them.

Anyway Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!!

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You are welcome and have a good day!

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

at&t, yahoo and oe make for too many places where stuff can go wrong and why i don't tie webmail to oe anymore.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice