Outlook Express Export feature

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JFresh

Hi,

I would like to save my email (which currently resides in Outlook Express v6) to a file.

From here, I'm going to reformat and reinstall the apps on my computer and I want to restore the email back to Outlook Express.

When I choose File | Export | Messages I get a message saying
"This will export messages from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange"

This message says nothing about exporting into Outlook Express and so I want to make sure that before I reformat that I will be able to have it restored into Outlook Express.

A silly thing perhaps but I just want to know for certain.

Thanks,

JFresh

JFresh

Hi XLGuru,

You really get around here =). Thanks for your help again as usual. I followed the steps in this article but to no avail. It seems to go through the motions in backing up the mail but it happens very fast. I thought this was unusual given the number of emails and I checked the file size: 551 BYTES. Since there are a lot of emails here along with attachments in conjunction with the fact that this is a POP3 email account I somehow doubt the emails got backed up.

What do you suggest I do next?

Thanks a bunch!

JFresh

I have other info on this somewhere round here. I'll dig it out but it could take a day or two. In the meantime you may get some other ideas.

Rgds,
Andy

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi JFresh

• First enable Hidden Files and Folders:
    Open My Computer,
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
    Remove the checkmark for Hide Extensions for known file types.
    Apply, OK, to save and close.

Tools > Options > Maintenance tab
    click the Store Folder button to locate the path where the Identity keeps its .dbx files.
    Close Outlook Express.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory, copy all the .dbx files for that Identity to a folder on your Desktop.

Export for Backup

• Account settings
    Export them as an .iaf file.
    Tools > Accounts > select Your account > Export
    Save the .iaf file to the folder on your Desktop.
    Repeat this step for additional Accounts.

• Address Book
    File > Export > Address Book > Text File (Comma Separated Values) > Name the file > Browse to the Desktop > Select the fields > Finish

Copy the Folder of .dbx files to a CD-R or CD-RW, along with any .iaf and .csv files you have created.

Repeat the above steps for each Identity, if you have more than one.

Once the reformat and reinstall is done, copy your backup files for Outlook Express to the Desktop.
Verify the files are not marked Read-Only.

Start Outlook Express.
If you have Exported your account settings as .iaf files, you can cancel out of the Internet Connection Wizard and Import the Account Settings later, using the steps below for Import.

Tools > Options > Maintenance tab
click the Store Folder button to locate the path where the new Identity keeps its .dbx files.
Close Outlook Express.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to that path, delete the Folders.dbx file for the new Identity.
Move the saved .dbx files into that directory.
Verify the file attributes are not Read-Only.

Restart Outlook Express, your folders and messages should appear.

Import after Reinstall

• Address Book
    File > Import > Other Address Book, select Text File, click Import, navigate to the [.csv] file in the folder on your desktop, and click Finish.
    Check your Address Book to see if it was successful.

• Account Settings
    Tools > Accounts > Import > Browse
    to and select the .iaf file on your desktop, Close
    Repeat for additional accounts.

More information on backing up Outlook Express here:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/backup/

Let us know what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online